PDA

View Full Version : Anubis?

Shawnts106
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:54 AM
OOOOOOOOK, I have heard that you should place anubis coffeeffolia on a peice of driftwood/rock... soooo, I put mine on my driftwood, are they going to be ok?...

duck
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 05:23 AM
Yes,I would try to give then some shade as they a slow growing.

Trebs
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 05:52 AM
tie them on with fishing line, not too tight. After a few weeks they will have taken hold and you can remove the fishing line.

DR.V
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 08:33 AM
yeah tie them with fishing line , i would add some java moss on the bottom of the driftwood , it looks great with java moss

Shawnts106
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:13 AM
They seem to be fine holding of fine, but they have a land plants roots... its wierd like that, are they going to be ok? the roots appear to have a bit of algae growing on them.. is this normal.. they are in a shaded semi area...as I know they need little light!

Just wanted to make sure this is normal... as my Java fern has these really nappy looking blackish roots ... the anubis do not.. they also came in pots and had dirt in them?... this is strange.. I made sure they are true Anubis Coffeefolia.. and not a peace plant..!!!!.. so they are trues... but I suppose they grew them emersed?

thanks for your help!

Merrilyn
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 07:31 AM
Shawn, those roots will darken on exposure to the light. Nothing to worry about. All perfectly normal, even the bit of algae growing on them.

wyldchyld01
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 01:42 AM
the roots will def firm up and get a little darker

anubis are usually propigated (sic) by cutting the rhizome. Tthe cuttings (with a couple of their own roots) and the original plant continue to grow. they can grow under low light but the brighter, the quicker it grows

nice plant, you can actually attach any plant like this that retrieves nutrients directly from the water to anything, the back glass etc to have plants at different levels in the tank.

they usually put them in little pots just for the ease of shipping, most shops put them on wood so they can sell them for a little more, but they do look good

Brenton

Shawnts106
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:11 AM
AH good, im glad nothing is wrong!... I have noticed they seem to be doing the bubbly thing since the new lights and the extra CO2... so Im really thrilled about it! even the Java ferns are going like crazy... my plants have gone insain.. here is the growth list:

Wallichii: hanging in there, a few sprouts but other than that nothing more

Alt reineckii: new sprouts and leaves, bubbling like a crazy underwater monkey!

Amazon sword: new leaves, bubbling

Rubin sword: MOST improved... a total of 8 or 9 new leaves and a constant stream of bubbles pouring out of the leaves!!!

Ludwiga: coloring up very nicely, and its growing new shoots and roots quite well!!!

Apongeton: always growing, always bubbling always getting out of control! LOL

Tiger lotus: bubbling like crazy, but a med growth

Aponogeton Ulvaceus: got it and it was very small three 2 inch leaves and was not in the best condition, now has 3 new HUGE leaves that are a nice redish brown color and its growing daily

microsword frags: I found 3 plants in our tanks at work and they were burried!!! very bad off, 1 leaf a peice, 2 of the 3 now have 1 new leaf each!

java fern: bubbling like crazy, new tiny leaves and new plant sprouts

Java moss: new branches and growing nicely!

Cript wendtii: new leaves but not bubbling

Anubis coffeefolia: bubbling a bit, I dont see any new leaves but there are a few suspects!

really everything is doing nicely! the discus, cardinals and neons dont seem to mind the extra light provided by the 65watt compact! the temp in the tank is averaging between 82*F and 84*F now... which is good for the discus and tetras! I dont know if the otocinclus like it or not.. but I have 6 now... or at least I think I do.. had 2 and picked up 4 more today!... as well as a BEAUTIFUL NEON GREEN/PURPLE Goniopora coral for the reef tank! :)... my Alveoporas seem to be loving my ecosystem based skimmerless reef I HAVE EVEN HAD TO FRAG IT!!!! anyway

so everything looks great!!!