PDA

View Full Version : FAQs...

jluna
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 02:31 AM
hi everyone -

i think i remember some talk early on about a FAQ page being set up? i keep a close eye on the site and there is such a huge range of people in here from the very experienced through to novices...and the novices, myself included, are obviously learning a great deal from the "oldies". i think a FAQ page would ROCK, but as i am a complete technophobe i am unaware of how much work it entails...but i'd be happy to contribute questions and ideas for such a project. also, a conversion page for imperial and metric measurements, and a glossary of frequently used terms... - what do you think?

justin

Hawque
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 04:07 AM
I think that your idea is an excellent one...

As I am quite a newbie in discus terms I have been asking lots of questions that I may have been able to get the answers to from a FAQ.

I have also noticed a number of similar questions being asked by different people. Rather than repeat the answers in different topic posts, people could be referred to the post and then come back with any further questions that after.

Craig.

flukes
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 05:24 AM
This was my idea, basically when people start repeating questions the replies are never as detailed as the first post was answered. So i thought this way instead of replying, it could just be "refer to FAQ"

To get it going Proteus could start with one wuestion each 3days or so and then people can answer to the best of there knowlege.

I think some questions like -
* How much lighting for a planted tank?
*How many discus for such a tank.
* what filtration is needed.
* What heating is needed.
* Techniques for telling if its female/male.
* Poistion of tank.

These are FAQ which iam sure will come up alot in the time to come, but this is ujst the tip of the cake i know there are alot more.

Let us know what you think Rohan.

Cheers

Scott

Cichlids_Rule
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 06:19 AM
It sounds like a great idea.

Annie
Wed Apr 21, 2004, 06:23 PM
Some one ought to get ahold of luv for this. She would be a good one for all this info.

luvfishies
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:48 AM
:oops: Wow, annie, thanks for that!

I think Kev and Prot are way better at this than I am, and a few others here. Heck, I'll pitch in, but I'm by no means an "expert" when compared to some of the gang here!

flukes
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 02:40 AM
Well thats the beauty of it we can have say 10 responses and the reader can decide the best plan of attack

jluna
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 05:40 AM
exactly! i think it's important for beginners to realise there is more than one way to skin a cat (pardon the metaphor, any moggie-lovers out there) and there is certainly a plethora of styles and ideas out there!! as long as we are sure not to contradict information, but rather to show a diversity of approach, i'm sure newies would really appreciate it.

how do we get started?

justin

Annie
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 08:00 AM
:oops: Wow, annie, thanks for that!

I think Kev and Prot are way better at this than I am, and a few others here. Heck, I'll pitch in, but I'm by no means an "expert" when compared to some of the gang here!

Luv,
Seroiusly, do not be so modest...You know this stuff!! :wink:

Proteus
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 01:06 PM
FAQ's, Articles, Discus Guide & Disease Guide will all be added over time...

good planning means an excellent result!!!

:wink:

jluna
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 09:05 PM
sorry if u felt i was pushing or rushing, proteus -

i think my comment was more like raising my hand to help out if i can - though my experience is pretty limited. but i'm quite happy to wait till u put the call out for volunteers or ideas.

have a good one,

justin

Proteus
Thu Apr 22, 2004, 10:51 PM
Justin, no need for apologies.... I didnt think that at all...

I am doing little bits and pieces for a FAQ section, and Article section, as well as putting a Discus guide together wth the help of some other members here.

Sadly I have this habit of trying to do 50 things at once... :roll: