PDA

View Full Version : problem

Katie
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 10:49 AM
Hey guys. Have just put one of my (remaining) rt into a hospital tank. I have noticed in the last couple of days that he has been very picky with his eating. Today he has gone into stress mode, changing from solid black to bars standing out. Not eating at all and has white poop. I am just about at breaking point as I lost two of my first four rt just after my tank exploded. Please tell me if its as bad as I think it is, and what I should do?

fishinggame
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:48 AM
Katie
Sorry to hear about your fish this may help from another thread on this forum by merrilyn hope it helps and all goes well
Tony
An infected fish may show one or several of the following symptoms:-

Skin lesions around the head area.
Turning dark.
Refusing to eat.
White jelly like droppings.
Muscle wasting and pinched appearance above the eyes.

The best drug to use is Metronidazole (Flagyl) which you will need to get from your local vet. Ring first to see if he will prescribe it after seeing a photo of the fish, or if he insists on seeing the fish himself.

1. Do a 30% water change.
2. Set the temperature to 30 degrees, no higher.
3. Add 250 mg Metro per 40 Litres of water. Crush tablets to fine powder and mix with water to form a paste before adding to the tank.
4. After 12 hours, do another 30% water change and repeat the dose. This should be done for a total of 3 days.
5. During treatment the tank lights should be left off. Metro is affected by light.
6. A variety of good quality, high protein food with added vitamins and minerals should be fed several times daily. Include prepared dry food, beef heart, brine shrimp, green vegetable matter and blood worms in the diet. Remove any uneaten food and keep the water very clean.

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=30600&highlight=metro#30600

Woll
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:27 PM
If it has white poop then it is probably worms. His tummy may be bloated. Treat him with worm and fluke tabs from LFS. If he is in a smaller tank thats best as you dont have to use as many tabs then (1 tab/20L).
What i do is i crush them up in a cup or something and then put some hot water in the cup to disolve them a bit more, then tip the solution into the tank. After 48 hrs, do a 25% water change trying to suck up as much of the white residue as possible.
Hope this helps.

fishinggame
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 06:56 PM
with the symptons katie has given i would be more incined to say it was hex and needs treating pretty quickly to avoid permanent internal damage to the fish

marg
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 05:58 AM
Katie I have just read your Post and agree with fishingame, having just gone through the same thing myself (unfortunately I lost my little feller).

I would get onto the vet and get some Metro and start immediately - I think I was a little slow and that is maybe why i lost my little one.

Katie
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys. I was thinking hex too, but trying to kid myself that it wasn't. Have an appointment to speak with the vet tommorrow.

Had to laugh though, with all the trouble I have had in the last few weeks I have been checking all my babies regualarly. Two my suprise my two pb have shacked up and laid eggs at the very back corner of my new tank. I have tried to get a pic but can't squeeze my head or hand around that side of the tank. They don't have get pissy when they see me try.

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 08:48 AM
Katie it does sound like hex. That white poo is a dead give away. The stress of the broken tank, and all the problems after would have been enough to bring it on. You've caught it early, so you shoud have good results from the Metro treatment..

Did your carpet recover from all the water?

Aren't fish amazing. Well at least now you know you have a pair. :P