PDA

View Full Version : Moving a Pair

chris
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 12:36 AM
I have a pair of Turqs that spawn once a week get free swimmers then they die get eaten or lost in my community tank. I have a breeding tank just ready for them to occupy it.
but they have wrigglers in the communty tank.
Its so sad what would you do :wink:
If I wait they will die anyway.
I just feel so sad to move the pair and leave the wrigglers behind to be eaten my the rest :!:

Ben
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 11:00 AM
mmm...
Its one of those things Chris, but in the future you know that it will be all for the best if you move them into a tank by themselves.

This might sound a bit unorthadox but you could try and catch the wrigglers with a fine net and put them into the breeding tank but there would be a HUGE chance that they will not survive because of water shocks and even if they do live through it the pair might think YUM food!
But i guess you could give it a go!

sorry i am not much help here,

Ben

Kaza
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 10:48 PM
Chris transfer as much water as you can from the community tank into the breeeding tank and try and move the babies as Ben said its a risk but at least they have a chance.

germanblue
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 02:15 AM
could it be possible after being translated for the pair to brake? if they are laying eggs weekly, could it make them stop laying?

chris
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 12:44 AM
I hope they dont stop laying, Im trying my best to get the water the same in both tanks if possible the Ph is higher in the breeding tank, Im going to try a rain water mix today see if I can make the water softer.
Its the perfect time to move them today because, I do my mid week water change, then my turq pair Spawn and there free swimming by monday and all gone by tuesday.
So If I can they will be out, more than likely not, I might go see my LFS to see if he has any Ideas to lower my PH, I cant find my GH kit to share my readings with you.
PH is about 7.4
Community tank is 6.6.

Dave76
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 12:49 AM
Hi Chris

You could try some peat to lower your ph & gh - this will also add tannins to the water that are also supposedly sometimes a trigger for spawning.

Dave

geral
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 03:02 AM
i heard that peat moss absorbs calcium and magnesium, and softens the water, but with time it will release those elements to the aquarium again. its that true? what about if i fill a cartridge with peat moss and put it in the power filter? will it work?
regards

chris
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 06:13 AM
Not sure about peat moss, Ill be honest ive never seen it :!:
Ive heard of people using it in canisters, so I take it its bought dry in packets :?:
Im using a sponge filter so that rules peat moss out.

Anyone heard of using rain water to soften water.

I moved them anyway today.
I used water from my other tank,
50%, when I tested the breeding tank with the mix PH was slighty acidic,
Slight readings of nitrite, and very slight readings of nitrate.
So I might change 10% old water daily keeping an eye on my readings.
They seem happy enough considering these guys havent been in a bare bottom tank for a few years.

Dave76
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 07:30 AM
Hi Chris

I've put peat moss in a filter bag & just let it float around in my sump - I don't see why you wouldn't be able to just hang it in the tank, or soak it in the water you use before changes.

I'm using the eheim peat, altho their are other varieties around.

I don't know anything about using rainwater sorry.

Dave

geral
Sun Jul 10, 2005, 11:12 PM
hello there
well, i just moved a pair from a well planted and stocked tank to a breeding one. that pair spawned 3 times on the community tank ang got wigglers all those times, unfortunately some tetras turned psyco. the pair have 2 weeks in the new tank (previously cycled with the planted t. water) and they are stressed and very shy. now, they don't have any sign of breed and i'm wondering if the change of from a planted tank to a bere one could affect them to breed. i know the answer is yes but what can i do? how long it will take?

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 09:42 AM
Peat moss is a horticultural product sold at you garden centre, try some and you won't regret it

i simply place it in my storage drum, it will float for a few weeks and then sink, when it starts to sibk i simple suspend it half way in the drum

as for breeding after moving, some start spitting them out mins afetr dropping into a new tank, some take months toget back on track

each fish = different fish = different reaction

jsut do the simple things right and the rest should follow :wink:

chris
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 10:21 AM
Thanks for asking that question geral, changing fish from gravel planted tanks to bare bottoms. My pair are in there new home now and not showing much at the moment as in spawning. I have trace of nitrites and nitrates so Im change small amounts of water daily about 20% to get the levels down.
When I first put them in the tank they spawned imediately on the floor but not much of sign now, they are a little un happy but eating well.
The females is at time a bit of a worry she sometimes face backwards in the tank but has dark poo.
Also when I put them in the swim sideways on the bottom of the tank, very wierd it was like they were looking at the foam under tank.
They still do it occasionally.

geral
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 12:57 PM
i'm doing daily water changes as recomended here, 50% of that water is from the community tank to give them almost the water conditions they previously had. also i'm feeding only bloodworms and they are eating so well. they have a terracota cone, but they don't look at it. not sure, but i'll try putting a potted amazonian plant in the tank.

Merrilyn
Mon Jul 11, 2005, 05:06 PM
Hi Chris, it can certainly take them some time to get used to a bare bottom tank. The swimming sideways is due to the reflection in the bottom of the tank, but they will soon get used to that.

Geral, try to feed them more than just bloodworms. Add some dry flake or granule food as well, to balance their diet. Some beefheart is also a good high protein food, and most discus seem to like it.

Check the breeding basics guide at the top of this forum for some other ideas on encouraging spawning. :P

geral
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 03:37 AM
thanks lady r. i read that everyday jejeje

geral
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 06:34 PM
lady red, this question is for U!!!
you know that mated pair tends to defend their area, ok, as previously said, i recently moved my pair to a new tank and now they are stressed and shy. What could happen if i put 1 or 2 more discus to that tank? are they supposed to defend their territory and starts breeding process again? just asking
regards

geral
Tue Jul 12, 2005, 06:59 PM
sorry i did it, jejeje, but know what, i think it works. the male turns very agressive and starts to pounch the intruder while the female stays at the cone and starts to shiver. i put that poor fish back to the community tank and now the pair is shivering both and cleaning some areas.

Merrilyn
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 01:05 PM
Well geral, seems you have found the secret to getting a pair to spawn. Well done.

Hope you have lots of success with this pair.