PDA

View Full Version : Siamese Algae Eaters

Roy
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 04:08 AM
What do the SAE look like and where would i get some good ones in Melbourne ??
Ive got a little algae problem and the BNs arent eating it or keeping up.

Roy

duck
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:12 AM
Here's a pic hope it come's up
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=9

Scroll to the bottom also have a read of the algea's and the cause's,Then you should be able to adjust your tank.

They might be good at the start, then older they get the more lazy they get,I had one not worth it.
You got algea because of an inbalance in your tank.

sammigold
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:52 AM
We had two at one stage (lost due to mono smashing heater. lost mono and whoever was next to the heater at the time. Our bristlenose, mono and our siamese flying foxes) anyway they just nibble around at algae like the b/n. they don't eat algae enmass. as duck said if you have algae there is a tank imbalance somewhere which you need to fix. You need to maintain regular w/c and gravel cleaning and keep waste down to a minimum. Also too much sunlight can contribute to rapid growth of algae. sometimes nothing replaces a little bit of elbow grease :)

sammigold
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 07:25 AM
Oh roy, I just remembered I had an article on algae eaters and something you might be interested in is that when looking for the siamese flying fox make sure it is the right one as there is another fish out there called the "false flying fox" or scientific name epalzeorhynchus kallopterus which doesn't have such a big appetite for algae. The siamese flying fox scientific name is Crossocheilus siamensis. I read that it is possibly the only fish to eat red algae which is the most harmful algae in an aquarium and most likely to appear in water with a high ph level. It comes from Thailand but is also found in Malaysia. It is best kept with a group or at least as part of a pair as on its own there is a risk that it will harass other fish. it is a rapid swimmer and an effective jumper. We had ours as a pair and they were fine. The article I had comes out of a series of fish magazines that we used to buy that originate from the UK. HTH :)

Roy
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 02:48 AM
Ok looking at Plantgeek i have brush algae in my tank.
So it looks like i need to get a SAE from somewhere.
I do regular water changes and have a lot of plants, it just seems that the algae is winning a little bit too much at the moment.

Roy

duck
Sat Jul 02, 2005, 04:22 AM
The SAE won't solve your problem.
You need to fix why you got it in the first place,Like up your CO2 have some nitrate's and phosphates in some sort of balance then you problem will go away.

Roy
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 03:38 AM
Thanks Duck, i think i will need to get a phosphate test kit and see what the parameters are.
IVe refreshed the CO2 bottles this week, one earlier and the other one tomorrow.
Might have to put a 3rd one onto the tank to get a better result.
The plants have been growing well, but the brush algae just blossomed in a week.

Roy

duck
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 06:46 AM
If you can get pressurized CO2 you will better off.
I have DIY CO2 and it's a nightmare trying to keep up on my 4ft,In a week or 2 i will be getting pressurized a lot easier,At the moment i'm having a bout with BBA due to my CO2 not being consitent enough and unable to keep the levels up high enough.

Roy
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:22 AM
Ive been thinking of pressurised C02, its the cost that im having issues with :D
I know it would be worth it in the long run.
Can you tell me what you are getting, from where and the cost ??

Roy

Proteus
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:37 AM
You can get a full C02 set up, with pH computer and controller for less that $1000.

(that icludes a C02 bottle, all hoses, regulators, everything)

...and is German made

Roy
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 02:28 AM
Ok, lets bring this back to my budget :D
I would most likely source a tank close to home but need to get regulators etc.
No need for PH controller, ive found mine to be rather steady with DIY Co2.
But i am tempted.

Roy

merman
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 12:06 AM
Proteus what brand is this CO2 all inclusive and where can I get it from?

Thanks

Proteus
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:08 AM
Sera @ SLS in Sydney

Davo
Wed Jul 13, 2005, 12:23 PM
Have a look at www.milwaukeemeters.com.au.

They sell a regualtor/needle valve/solenoid and bubble counter all in one for $229. This brand is highly rated in the US. They also sell a auto PH controller for $244.

These prices are heaps cheaper than Dupla, Sera or Tunze brands.

All you need to rent is the CO2 bottle and buy a reactor.

Dave.

Benny
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 07:23 AM
That milwaukee meters approach is easily the most worthwhile system!!

fantastic products, for the money!!