PDA

View Full Version : Post Hexamita clean up - How will I know if it is gone?

DQ
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 12:26 AM
The last of my fist batch of Discus died on the weekend, victims of Hexamita disease that was treated with the wrong drugs! (Thanks to Kevin for correctly diagnosing the illness)

Kevin mentioned that Discus can catch this illness from other fish as well as plants.

Now that all my fish are dead I am planning on getting the tank set up for a new lot of fish and do not want them to suffer the same fate as the first batch.

I plan to have the tank with a bare bottom this time, with drift wooded anchored plants on the bottom.

What I really want to know is how do I treat the plants to get rid of any Heximata they may still be carrying? How many treatments will the plants need before I can be sure that they will not pass the disease on.

Are there any other things I should consider with a new set up?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

CY

kevkoi
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 03:15 AM
Clean plants in a dip of Potassium permanganate solution. I use about 1g (a few crystals basically) to about 10L of water. Solution is a pink/purple colour. Soak plants in there for approx 10-25min and I find that usually kills off any nasties.. including snails.

U MAY also want to dose the whole tank and filter with metronidazole prior to introducing new fish.

one tablet metronidazole to 30L of water.

Dissolve tablet into tank.... easiest way to do it. Severely hex infested discus usually won't eat either.

kev

PM me if unsure of dosing directions.

DQ
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 03:57 AM
Thanks Kev,

Is Potassium permanganate crystals available at most Aquariums?

Cheers for the Advice..

CY

kevkoi
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 07:17 AM
Pharmacy my friend... your local pharmacy.
Make sure u don't get it into your eyes (blindness may occur!).... and it will stain, so don't spill.

DQ
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 11:52 PM
Thanks again!

Makes things much easier when there are people that know what they are talking about.