PDA

View Full Version : When added plants to tank looks kinda yellow looking ???

axl
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:18 PM
Hi,
my 6 footer was without plants for a while and then i added plants to my tank and the tank kinda looks yellow looking i dont no what it is, it is fine before i added the plants. You can even see it on the gravel it looks yellow looking to, dont no if my old light bulbes need replacing there about 12 months old, that might be the problem
my details are
1 single 2 x 36w light
1 single compact 3 x 55w with half 6500 and half 10,000
running co2

anyone help
cheers axl

duck
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:37 PM
You got any drift wood?
The light's can do it being that old.

axl
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 12:38 AM
Hey,
duck yeah i put a big piece of driftwood in with plants on it, could it be that or do ya reckon its the light bulbes maybe have to get them replaced
cheers axl

Roy
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 01:24 AM
Its the driftwood leaching out tannins.
Perfectly natuaral, gives it that amazon look :D

Roy

buttnaked
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 02:43 AM
I agree with Roy & duck. old blubs don't really do that unless it's really old.

kalebjarrod
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 07:52 AM
i recon it's both

i change my blubs every six months

and the tanins from the wood, adding up to be yellowish water :wink:

Woll
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 12:33 PM
From my botany studies i know that some plants leach chemicals from their leaves and roots, this could be causing the yellowing of the water. It could also be from small bits of organic matter (leaves, roots etc) breaking down in the water. From what i have read these shouldnt affect the fish. The breaking down matter may (nitrogen cycle) so just keep up the water testing.

okrazykat
Fri Aug 12, 2005, 06:12 PM
I agree 100%, it's the wood. It will take months on it's own before it clears up completely, but you will notice a big difference after only the first couple of water changes. Activated Charcoal will clear this up temporarily, and immediately at that, as long as you're not opposed to removing other particles from the water as well as the tannins. Anyway, there is no danger whatsoever to fish or plants from this coloration, except that it will alter the color temperature of your light. If you're already running very warm (low kelvin) lamps, It could throw you into a scale that could reduce their efficiency.
If it's not too late, you can boil the wood, which accelerates the process. Be prepared that it will permanently stain an aluminum pot.
Also, watch for a slight drop in water hardness and pH, as the humic (?) acids in the tannin will soften the water slightly, depending on the size of the wood.