PDA

View Full Version : Metal Halide & suspending it

Benny
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:09 PM
Hey all, i hear that using MH directly above glass will shatter it, is this true?

If so, without suspending a hood from the ceiling and without using a bracket off a wall, is there a way of having a MH lamp sitting above the tank? a tall, well ventilated hood? tall reflector??

Any ideas are greatly appreciated,

also, how do discus like a WELL lit tank?

Will MH scare the living **** out of them?

is T5 a better solution?

whats the verdict guys and girls? Im using one 18" neon tube on a 150L tank and it does bugger all in the way of lighting

Regards,
Benny

DR.V
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:27 PM
Metal Halide can shatter the glass if place direcltly above the glass, because it will greatly heat it up.

I think it should be place about 20-30cm above the lids. Also this can give the lights better shinning angle as it will cover more area in the tank.

How big is your tank ??

Metal Halide is suitable for bigger tank.

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:03 PM
yeah i would get a bigger than benny. also if you had a hood. you could cut part of the top out and use a bracket to hold it on the hood... doesnt really make sense but i have seen tanks like this before.

Blue
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:37 PM
Try this

http://www.arcadia-uk.info/product.php?pid=3&mid=10&lan=en&sub=&id=4

Not MH but very powerful in the 4x T5 unit.

Barry

Proteus
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 11:30 PM
Discus prefer lower lighting, or if you have bright lighting, plenty of shaded areas.

Remember, technically, they are a Blackwater fish

AussieStar
Wed Sep 07, 2005, 11:44 AM
i have my mhs 30 cm above the tank and gees they produce a lot of heat if you get them make sure to get some cooling fans, help so much

Roy
Sat Sep 10, 2005, 03:34 AM
I bought a metal halide during the week, putting it after i drag myself away from the forums :D
Will let you know how it goes.

Roy

Roy
Sun Sep 11, 2005, 04:16 AM
Well i turned the sucker on last night, you could hear the electricity company rubbing their hands together :D
WOW it is bright, dont think i need other lights on in the lounge room now.
Unfortunately a mate borrowed my digi cam a few weeks ago and has yet to return it so now pics.
Did a water change yesterday as well, everyone was nice and active last night, spent about an hour watching them all play in the light and around the plants.

Roy