PDA

View Full Version : Bristle Nose food - adults

shrimp paste
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:18 AM
Hi Folks,

What do you feed your adult Bristle Nose? I have recently eliminated all their natural tank food by installing a UV steriliser. I am now concerned that there is not enough algae or food for these guys in the tank. Will they eat the other standard fish foods like flakes and worms? I have heard some people use lettuce to feed their BN wrigglers. Will adults also eat this? Whats the preperation process?
I need something that will have 'time' to get to these bottom feeders before the big guys up top, medium guys in the middle and little tetras at the bottom take their shares.
Am also a bit worried about my corys not getting enough food being at the bottom of the food chain so to speak.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide. :D

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 06:08 AM
i usually buy a couple of zuchini's and skewer them and put them in. the bn love them. i also feed them algae waffers when i can get them in bulk. lettuce is good too

weird
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:05 AM
Adult BNs love blanced (just microwave in water for 45 secs) cumcumber and zuchini. I also feed mine bloodworms (and most other frozen foods) and tablet foods.

sammigold
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:15 PM
we feed our bristlenose flakes and pellets. He also loves peas. we just take out some frozen peas run them under hot water to rinse and throw them in. If you have other fish like silver dollars,scats, synodontis they all enjoy peas too. Also worms out of the garden rinsed and cleaned are also gobbled up very quickly. HTH

jwight
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 03:04 PM
If you have no algae do they need to be there? Corys eat leftovers but not algae so nothing will be different for them. I have seen my bristles eat beef heart I was most annoyed. THERE IS ALGAE IN THIS TANK DO YOUR JOB!

shrimp paste
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 02:24 AM
Thank you everone for the replies, this information is excellent. I guess the BNs will have a nice feed tonight. I've got all those ingredients right now, just never thought to use them.

Thanks again.