PDA

View Full Version : pale discus.

Sam
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 12:44 PM
what are the best foods to feed to enhance the redness of my redmelon which is a bit of a white melon a.t.m lol.

Andrew Soh
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 01:08 PM
Hello Sam,
Do you know that you are so lucky to be born so near to the manufacturer of Carophyl Pink...Roche?

Mix 2 gm of CP to 1 kg beefheart.

CP has 8% artificial asthaxantin while Natural rose has 2%(I think) of natural asthaxanthin.

Warmest regards,
Andrew :angel

madaboutfish
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:45 AM
Hi Andrew,

Is this carophyl pink safe for discus? Where do you get them in Singapore? or do you import them yourself? I am very interested to darken the red colour in my fishes too. If I remembered correctly. On one of the threads on the forum that you have a written a book on discus. Are you a breeder who has a shop or farm in Singapore. Hope to drop by as I am returning to Singapore for a short break to visit relatives. Thanks and regards.

Nick

Andrew Soh
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:12 AM
Hello Nick,
You dont have to buy carophyl Pink from Singapore...you buy it in Australia as it is produced there or in Germany by Roche and Singaporean breeders buy/import it from there.

I do have a 2 hectre farm but mainly doing the bread and butter fishes like guppies and swordtails now. Discus is now a hobby and that is why I gladly dispense all the experience and knowledge gained in the past 32 years of discus keeping into my book. My farm is not open for visitors..my apology....but we can meet up if you like. There are many breeders inour small country and I can bring you there.

It is not a book that must be right all the time and no mistake...........it is my acquired knowledge and may differ from other breeders and their knowledge may yield better results than my encounters.

The book also covers topic like 'how to sex discus''genetics''FAQ''Selecting discus' and etc.

Warmest regards,

madaboutfish
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:07 AM
Hi Andrew,

I am actually a Singaporean who is a PR in Australia and thought that since I was going back to Singapore for a short break thought that I could get some of that CP since I don't have many fishes. Also have not seen any around. I have only heard of Naturose and not Carophyl Pink. Since CP has a higher content of astaxanthin, I thought I will try to get some. I will try to look around for CP. Thanks for your help.

Regards

Nick

Andrew Soh
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:47 AM
Good to know you are a Singaporean, Nick....so you know Soingapore as much as me...he! he!

In Perth, check up with the Pharmacy company Roche. They should have stock. It is not harmful as it is not a steriod or hormone. It is manufactured artificially (synthetic asthaxanthin).

As in most things, though not harmful, feeding too much is not good. The usual practice is 2 gm to 1 kg beefheart. You can use up to 3 or 4 gm but is unnecessary. Feeding more than 10 gm/kg beefheart may have a side effect...I am not sure....never tried.

As in NaturalRose produced in Hawaii and now in Isreal, the percentage of asthaxanthin is 1.5%, 2% and 4 % respectively. Now, they are even producing higher grade and purity.....but they are all natural.....and have their advantages and disadvantages.

Regards,
Andrew

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:14 AM
i use carophyl red in my beef heart. got it about a year or so ago from a guy on the gold coast who said he imported it from asia somewere

Mattzilla
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:18 AM
i have done a search for the ROCHE Pharmasy in Perth, but have only come up with mining companies. do you know of an exact web page i could look up? thanks very much for your help

matt

Proteus
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:27 PM
Sam, easiest way is to use Tetra Colorbits or one of the Sera or WC foods

marg
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:16 PM
Hi Proteus. Different subject, but I noticed in one of your Posts following last weekends ADA Meeting that you stated that there had been a demonstration of a Beefheart Mix and a Seafood Mix. I am interested in the Seafood Mix and I would imagine that other members of the Forum would be also.

When you get the time, could you perhaps share same with us all?

Andrew Soh
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 02:08 PM
Hello guys,
You go to goggles search engine and you key in the word "carophyll pink" or "Carophyll Pink" and you will be shown Roche and many other companies...most importantly, Roche of Australia.

Wow, Seafood mix with beefheart? Good idea...but I think a little messy because seafood...example prawns or shrimps easily foul water and soaring ammonia....just be careful.

Warmest regards,

Sam
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 03:04 PM
thanks proteus

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:30 PM
Thanks for the information Andrew. Once again, invaluable :P

Proteus
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:32 PM
It wasnt beefheart mixed with seafood (although that is possible) it was totally seafood & vegies.

I will post details later today

Andrew Soh
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 12:46 AM
:( Sorry Proteus,

Mistaken.....

Proteus
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 09:57 AM
No need to be sorry, my reference in the other post was to make a seafood mix similar to a beefheart mix.

So it could be confusing

jim from sydney
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:41 AM
Proteus......i am about to mix some food, and would be interested in something away from beefheart mix....so the seafood mix recipe sounds interesting....Jim

Proteus
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:54 AM
recipe:

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3515

jim from sydney
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 11:02 AM
Proteus..thanks Pal....this should keep me busy on the week-end. (especially if it keeps on raining)......Jim