PDA

View Full Version : Hi folks

Plats
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:53 AM
Hi I just joined last week after looking for a decent forum. I used to keep Discus years ago, had a few brew grow up successfully and then gave them away. But now I'm back into them (after saving up) and am very keen to combine a planted Tetra commuinty tank with Discus. My challenge is growing my Swords and thin val whilst maintaining Temp of 28C, no fertilser in the sand and no CO2 type system. I have two competing pairs laying eggs in the tank whenever the PH gets close to 6, Nitrates are at 30-60. Are there any thoughts on what direction I should take?

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 02:37 PM
Hi Plats and welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Seems we never move too far away away from discus once the bug has bitten us. :lol:

Your nitrates are a bit high for discus at 30 - 60. Try to keep it below 20. How many waterchanges are you doing a week, and what percentage. You may need to increase the frequency.

ctvu
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:08 PM
Hi Plats

Welcome to decent forum DF.
LR has said all. And pls show us the pic of fry if you have.

ctvu

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 01:23 PM
yo yo yo and welcome to DF.com :D

Plats
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 09:01 AM
Thanks for everyone's warm welcome. I have conciously changed my water changes from fortnightly @20% to monthly at 20%, with 2 feeds per day. In my new community tank the parents have eaten the eggs after 60 hrs, so not fry pic's this time around, but here's my favourite pair getting busy.

Cheers.

ctvu
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 10:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your pic.

ctvu

Shawnts106
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:59 AM
very nice discus btw:.. what does fortnightly mean? Im not familiar with this aussie slang! LOL!

ctvu
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 04:10 AM
very nice discus btw:.. what does fortnightly mean? Im not familiar with this aussie slang! LOL!

Fortnight = 2 weeks. I am still learning too.
Hope this helps.

ctvu

Shawnts106
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:15 AM
LOL, but you live in melborn?.. you must be an Xamerican?.... or have moved from somewhere else?

lol, fortnightly! hum... this could be quite interesting LOL!