PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Aqua Pro Canisters

Benny
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:52 PM
Hey all, been seriously tempted by the aqua pro 1500lph canister @ AOA..

Curious who uses this branded canister? what the quality is like? Gonna go onto a 400L tank hopefully, figured 1500L/Hour is enough, right?

Thanks boiz and girls
Benny

DR.V
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 10:13 PM
I dont use this brand for my filter, but one of friend does. I think this filter is quite cheap, compare to other brand and also easy to find spare parts.
If it was me, I would add another filter to increase the water rotation. Maybe an internal filter ??

Proteus
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 11:42 PM
I purchased an AquaPro just over a year ago, after 2 months I replaced it with something more reliable.

It was noisy, the flow was intermittent, basically I wasnt very impressed.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:23 AM
It was noisy, the flow was intermittent, basically I wasnt very impressed.

what a glowing report :?

Bronx19
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:57 AM
I bought the 1200 model three days ago from AOA, it came today. I'll let you know in a few days when its running.

You can tell immediately by the feel of it that the plastics arent of the same quality as a $350 Eheim or fluval, but I expected that.

The filter media is a little on the lean side, it comes with a fine filter pad, small bag of ceramic noodles and a bag of charcoal (which was broken).

I think I might ditch the charcoal and use the same media as my Eheim.

DR.V
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 07:58 AM
Yeah you cant really compare this brand with Eheim.

You should not have high expectation to cheaper brand -_-

Bronx19
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 08:22 AM
Normally I wouldnt skimp, but I cant really hand over large ammounts of cash at the moment.

chrissyoscar
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:42 AM
I have a Aqua Pro cf-1200.
Been running about 5mths now and seems to work ok. No problem with noise or flow.

Oscar

Benny
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 07:49 AM
hrmmm... mixed opinions...!

Whats every ones opinion of the OTTO PF-450G 1800lph Cannister?

I been doing the sums on making my own sump, and it doesnt seem wothwhile.... $100 for bioballs, $120 for a powehead, then fittings, spinning arm, silicones, glass shelves etc.....

jim from sydney
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:07 AM
Hey all, been seriously tempted by the aqua pro 1500lph canister @ AOA..

Curious who uses this branded canister? what the quality is like? Gonna go onto a 400L tank hopefully, figured 1500L/Hour is enough, right?

Thanks boiz and girls
Benny

Benny...i have sent you a PM...Jim

Bronx19
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 04:41 AM
Well I just filled my Aquar Pro 1200 and switched it on... nothing.

Do these have a power switch somewhere, or do I have a dud?

Bronx19
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 05:54 AM
Well I just filled my Aquar Pro 1200 and switched it on... nothing.

Do these have a power switch somewhere, or do I have a dud?

Forget this post guys, It just started.

DR.V
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 06:37 AM
hahaha what happened Bronx19 ?
Did it not properly plug ??

Bronx19
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 07:19 AM
Well, It said it needs to be primed to get the water in, but I have always just sucked the end of the pipe on every other filter, so I sucked away and turned it on.

Then I pressed the button a few times and it worked.

Now, for my REAL opinion on the Aqua Pro 1200.

The tank is in my room, so I was banking on it not being loud, and its come up with the goods. I can hear a very low *hum* when its situated out side the cabinet, and I can only imagine that if it was inside, you'd never know it was there. It maybe a fraction louder than my Eheim 2222.

It went together easily and is pumping water at a very nice rate. Plenty of tubing to play with, and the fittings are all snug and secure.

The canister came with a small bag of carbon, small bag of ceramic noodles and a fine filter pad. The noodles although large, dont even cover the bottom of the tray, so I have added some from my Eheim.
I have put the carbon that came with it away for another day.

So for $85 dollars, I'll say this is a handy filter that is great value, only its BYO filter material.

I'll let you know if there are any problems in the months ahead.

Benny
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:07 AM
where'd u get it For $70

Bronx19
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 08:14 AM
Oops, my mistake, it was $85.

I was going to get the CF 1000, then I went with the 1200 since 10 more dollars buys you 200 l/h more.

jim from sydney
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:25 AM
Oops, my mistake, it was $85.

I was going to get the CF 1000, then I went with the 1200 since 10 more dollars buys you 200 l/h more.

Bronx....you wont have any problems...i have 2 of them, and have had them running for 6 months now...it is the best investment i have made, and man for $85 you can't go wrong...I have them inside a cabinet and i have to check movement in the water to make sure they are on........... THEY ARE SOOOOOOO SILENT.........and a great unit for the price......Jim

axl
Sun Jul 17, 2005, 10:59 PM
I would totally agree with jim they are awesome for the price and so easy to clean. They would have to be the best cannister on the market for price wise and i cant believe how quite they are.

weird
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 10:02 AM
I only just saw this post, I have an aqua pro as my second cannister filter to a 4 x2 x2 tank, the other is a fluval ... which I like ... I have a mixture of fluval, eheim and one aqua pro ... no problems with any of them yet ... so as u can see I am not particular to a brand yet. Anyway, it works a sweet for the last 4 months ... have yet to clean it yet ... must do this soon as a reminder.

The only have one comment of cannisters, is restarting fluvals ... bloody hard work sometimes.

jim from sydney
Mon Jul 18, 2005, 11:01 AM
Dave.....time to clean Pal.

AdelaideAnt
Sat Jul 23, 2005, 04:56 AM
I have an OTTO canister. The taps broke, the o-ring was split and the fine sponges get clogged in less than 24 hours. Once i put on new taps from bunnings, got a new o-ring and removed the fine filter sponge the filter is fine, it turns over alot of water. If i were to have the choice again i would not have got one. The pro aqua filters are suposed to be pretty relyable, apparently the odd one is noisy like Proteus said but majority are good.

Anthony

DiscusWorld
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 04:31 AM
we have a nice new canistor filter if you are looking for an alternitive.
we will give a discus forum member 20% off and include free shipping
on our 1100l/h , 1300lh , 1600l/h models

Mattzilla
Mon Aug 01, 2005, 06:01 AM
do you have a link to your the above mentioned canister filters??? i would like to take a look at them

thanks

AussieStar
Sun Aug 07, 2005, 11:03 AM
yea i have the cf 1200 on a 75 gallon, for 2yrs no problems what so ever, still quite and nothing has broken yet