PDA

View Full Version : UV's which one should I get?

chrissyoscar
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:22 PM
With all the talk of UV's and how useful they are I think it's time I got one especially with water in Melbourne becoming unpredictable.
There are quite a few unit's on the market some expensive and some cheap.
I've been looking at an Aqua Pro unit which I can get for $59. It's a 16w unit but that's about the only info they give you. Does anybody have any more information about it. Here is a link to one that's currently on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20755&item=3981659939&rd=1
Does anybody use this one?.
I've been told to stay away from the torpedo looking version that Aqua Pro make.

Also I am prepared to pay more for a UV so if anybody can PLEASE recommend a good unit that wont cost the earth I'll be greatful.

I need two one for a 48x18x18 tank and a 48x24x24 tank.

Thanks.. Oscar

Proteus
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 12:07 AM
I personally would not recommend AquaPro.

I have heard stories of people being electrocuted by them, as well as not working after a short period of time.

(disclaimer - this info is purely from people I know that have used this brand, there are probably people out there that have had no problems.)

revkev
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 02:02 AM
Hi Have a look at this site for Ultra Violet Clarifiers and prices
http://www.pond-equipment.creativefountains.com.au
Revkev

DR.V
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:08 AM
i think pond master is good, but quite expensive ....

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 12:20 PM
The main thing to think about is replacement globes. You will need to replace globes every 6 to 12 months. You need to know that replacements are readily available.

Del
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 02:35 AM
I was wondering which one to get myself and found this, would you think it was any good Ladyred??

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm

DR.V
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 07:56 AM
I was wondering which one to get myself and found this, would you think it was any good Ladyred??

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm

Which UV are you talking about ?? But im sure most of the UV's there are AquaPro.

Proteus said "
I personally would not recommend AquaPro.

I have heard stories of people being electrocuted by them, as well as not working after a short period of time.

(disclaimer - this info is purely from people I know that have used this brand, there are probably people out there that have had no problems.)

Davo
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:14 PM
A couple of months ago some people bought some UV sterilizer's from Singapore (I think), They were Coralife Turbo - Twist 3 x 9w (up to 125gallon) or 6 x 18w ( 250g).

These UVS were compatible with voltage over here.

I just wanted to know how have they performed ?

Dave.

jim from sydney
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:25 PM
this is very confusing and worrying..... discus are not cheap so electrocuting them is not an option...does any-one have any solid ideas about this???Jim

Del
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:33 AM
Sorry I should have been clearer... the SunSun HZW-09 UV Sterliser 9 watt at http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/category51_1.htm

buttnaked
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:38 AM
Use the German made De Bary Aqua UV

I have one running for the last 12 months. It's probably one of the best in the market. Comes with or without a electronic ballast - 4 sizes. The electronic ballast option gives you aprox 18 months before you need to change the blub.

This is not for the price conscious, but well worth it.

I brought mine from www.seame.com (looking under product review)

www.debary.de

Davo
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:10 AM
buttnaked,

Regarding your De Bary UV what size did you get and how much was the shipping cost?

Thanks,
Dave.

buttnaked
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:53 PM
I've got the AN-15E model. (electronic ballast).

International Shipping is free of charge when you spend over 75 Euro.

In this case it will be free shipping.

Don't forget to buy a spare blub.

chrissyoscar
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 10:12 PM
Thanks for all the advise guys.

I decided to spend a little more and get some quality UV's that should last a few years.
I've gone with 2 Coralife Turbo-Twist UV Sterilizers a 9w and a 18w.
I'll probably get them in 2-3 weeks as they are coming from Singapore.
When they arrive i'll let you know how they perform.

Thanks. Oscar

Proteus
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 11:38 PM
I have stated this before in other posts, but PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be careful with electrical equipment from overseas.

Whilst it will work here, it hasnt recieved an Australian Standards approval/permit, i.e. if your house burns down, or you have some other issue, your home insurance etc is void as it is not an approved electrical appliance.

Personally I do have electrical equipment purchased overseas, however none are left on 24/7.

This isnt intended to alarm anyone, just letting you know the risks that are at hand.

jim from sydney
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 01:42 AM
equipment from germany and holland is generally not a problem...they use 220V instead of 240V...this is not a problem, i have used my electricals a lot when visiting there. the plug may need to change or buy a convertor plug at any electrical store here. even though we may think that we use 240V the fluctuation is always there and hence equipment from germ and holland is fine.......asian countries DOUBTFUL i will not use their electrical products unless checked by an electrician here....our standards are VERY RIGID and thank heavens this is so......HAVE IT CHECKED BEFORE USE especially with water around this multiplies the risk a lot...... :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: .JIm

chrissyoscar
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 02:31 AM
Agree but the coralife turbo-twist is heavily sold in the USA and is one of the best UV's on the market. I do agree with Proteus though. It doesn't matter how good the unit is if it doesn't have the Australian standard tick of approval then the insurance company will use that fact not to pay.
It might actually meet the standard but if it's not sold here then it wont have been tested to see if it meets it all not.
I'll take the gamble with this UV as it is so big in the USA and must meet there standard.
Funny the aqua pro can be sold here and that's been known to fry fish etc.
Also how many cheap aquarium products are sold in this country that never seem to last more than 12mths!
Makes you wonder just how good the Australian Standard really is.

Oscar

Ben
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 04:33 AM
Also how many cheap aquarium products are sold in this country that never seem to last more than 12mths!
Makes you wonder just how good the Australian Standard really is.

Very good point Oscar!

Ben

Proteus
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 10:03 AM
Just to clarify, I am in no way questioning the quality of the imported products, as I know Turbo Twists are, as well as the European units.

As for what the Standards tick means in relation to quality, dont start me there... however in this day and age, insurance companies and the like will certainly use such an example (non certified electrical product) to get out of paying any claims if need be.

Realistically, the chances of such are very very slim, but it is there and that is all I wanted to point out.

:wink: