PDA

View Full Version : Nitrate reductors

Proteus
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 02:26 PM
I have been doing some research, plus listening to some good advice, and am considering adding a Computer controlled Nitrate Reductor to my my 180g tank when I move the Discus back into it sometime in the next 6 months (they are currently in a 150g tank).

I would still do water changes, however at a lesser frequency, and spend more time and effort ensuring that all other areas of the water chemistry stay stable.

Here is some info on the unit >

Aqua-Medic NR1000 Nitratreductor (http://www.aqua-medic.de/cgi-bin/php/display_product.php3?p_id=25&lang=en&cat_id=17)

http://www.aqua-medic.de/cgi-bin/php/get_image.php3?id=25&field=1

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 10:05 PM
Q. if your stll going to do water changes (but less freq) and your doing this so you can maintain a more stable tank, wouldn't water changes on a regular basis do the same job?

Proteus
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 12:03 AM
Effectively, a Nitrate reductor almost eliminates the need for water changes (except for evaporation replacement, and solids removal).

What I am thinking of is even cleaner water...

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:10 AM
sounds great

so it works in conjunction with a sump or standard canister?

colinM
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:29 AM
Thanks Proteous, This would be fantastic, I will watch this thread for more info from you, THANKS for the info, P.S I assume that in some part this type of equip would have come out of Marine?, I am currently setting up a 5x2x2 with sump for growing on young, this would make life a lot easier.
Do you know wether the unit needs a strong pump assist eg Protien skimmers? or might it as previously asked be able to connect to a cannister pre or post water return to tank.

Regards ColinM

Blue
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:56 PM
Seriously good move. I woud highly recommend the dosing pump and redox monitor, as although not impossible to get it right without there are undesirable side effects if you get it wrong.

weird
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 04:37 AM
looks excellent, is it expensive for the entire setup ?

Blue
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 07:04 PM
yes.

Proteus
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 11:54 PM
depends how you look at it...

approx $1000-$1500 for a full automated set up

compared to $5000-$7000 worth of fish in one display tank

Proteus
Tue Aug 16, 2005, 11:09 AM
After doing a load of research and reading up on Nitrate Reductors I am going to take the plunge in the upcoming weeks.

Aside from the large 1000 NR unit, I will also be adding a MV computer to monitor and control the redox potential levels and keep things in check...

Proteus
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 12:16 PM
NR1000 unit, on hand... once I get all the other goodies, I will be doing a full product review.

vishy
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 03:41 PM
Hey why not just get youself some plants and a light? I know 2 or 3 wpg and co2 is a bit different to one or two lights but my planted tank bottoms out on nitrates after a few days and I have to add KNO3 to keep it up and fend off the algae, same with my mates tanks. Just add a heap of hygros and an extra light or two. BTW that thing sounds interesting keep us updated, and just my personal opinion but I don't hink we can ever stop doing water changes no matter what technology we add to our tanks, we still need to replenish all the nutrients and just add cleaner water,
Matt

Proteus
Fri Aug 26, 2005, 05:41 PM
I already have a fully computerised C02 system waiting to be loaded onto another tank, as well as enough lighting to blind the average person.

Water maintenance still needs to be done (i.e for evaporation top ups, and removal of surface debris within the tank) however, if set up correctly, with the correct redox potential, effectively, water changes would not be required in the same way that they are now.

At the same time maintaining a stable KH & GH (Magnesium & Sodium) the nutrients that are required will already be present in the aquaria.

endless
Thu Sep 01, 2005, 03:46 AM
Hey Proteus, any feedback on the NR1000. Im seriously considering getting one myself if it does significantly reduce nitrate.

Proteus
Thu Sep 01, 2005, 10:55 AM
I will be setting it up over the next few days (probably Sunday)

I was going to wait as a move was being contemplating, however I need to play with my new toys... I already have the MV computer hooked up on the Discus tank measuring the Redox potential, and everything else is laid out, awaiting shipment of the Deniballs (in lieu of using the denimar powder to feed the reaction within the NR unit) which came in today.

So with the unit ready to have up to 5kg of Deniballs added, and everything else ready to be hooked up, it will be time to cycle the unit which should take at least 14 days before it can be hardlined into the tanks filtration system.

I will be doing a review as I go along, so as others can see this units effectiveness.

I also know of one other member here who has armed themselves with the same unit (as of today) so there should be some more info and feedback to fall back on.

endless
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 01:30 AM
Hi proteus, I have a few questions to ask you about the NR1000 so please bear with me. Now from my understading to operate the NR1000 you need firstly the actual unit (obviously) with denniballs, a dosing pump like the aquamedic sp3000 and the mv computer.

I understand that you need the dosing pump so that low volumes of water can be pumped into the unit (ie 1lt/hour) but im not sure what the mv computer does. Is it really necessary to have an mv computer?

Alos where and how much did you pay for each of the following components:
NR1000
aquamedic dosing pump
mv computer

Sorry about all the questions

Proteus
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 01:48 AM
ok, the SP300 comes with the NR1000 (so one less thing you need to purchase)

You can use the unit without the computer, however you will need to be testing the Nitrate level in the tank verses the nitrate level from the NR return to ensure it is working properly.

You can use either the deniballs, or the denimar powder (which is provided) the downside of the powder is you need to feed the unit on a regular basis, whereas with the deniballs, they will last for at least 12 months.

The MV computer monitors the Redox potential level. When the levels are out of sync, it will disable the pump, on top of giving you a visual reading of what the level is.

Costs = the NR1000 & SP3000 less than $600
I will have to get back to you on the MV Computer price.

endless
Sun Sep 04, 2005, 02:31 AM
"The MV computer monitors the Redox potential level. When the levels are out of sync, it will disable the pump, on top of giving you a visual reading of what the level is"

What does the redox potential mean and how does it become out of sync?