PDA

View Full Version : Black ghost knives

oldschoolculture
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 10:54 AM
Hey guys,

just set up another tank and was wondering if my black ghost knife will be ok with discus. Ive been told they are ok, but i just want to make sure. Will the size of the BGK matter or will it be placid?

Any help would be great

Cheers

marg
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:02 AM
I have had a Black Ghost Knife Fish in my Community tank (which has 3 Discus in it) ever since I started with my Discus (approx. 18 months).

I originally had two however one died, but the remaining one is about 23cm. long now and he has never hassled the Discus.

I have also got a big fat Clown Loach in the Community tank as well, and he and the Knife Fish sleep side by side (touching one another- true!!) together.

oldschoolculture
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:06 AM
That is sooo sweet.

I was just worried that if i introduce smaller discus the bgk would nip at them. However, my BGk is a big sweety so it should be ok

Thanks for the input

marg
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:09 AM
no I doubt very much that he would bother them. I have 7 Discus altogether and all of them at some time have shared his tank, and never a problem.

I find him really interesting. When I put Frozen Bloodworms into the tank the Knifefish and Loachie come out together and they both compete with the Discus for a Feed. It is really funny watching them.

duck
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:10 AM
I have to say i have a liking for the BGK and have considered it myself but was unsure if the 2 would be ok together.
What about the plants do they eat plants that was other concern.

marg
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:14 AM
They haven't bothered mine. They just hide in their little cave and come out when I put the Bloodworms in the tank.

oldschoolculture
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 02:08 PM
does anyone else have any experiences with ghost knifes and discus?

revkev
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 01:45 AM
Hi I have a 100mm Black Ghost Knife fish in with my discus no trouble at all eats the same food frozen blood worms, beef heart, brine shrimp, tetra bits.
Revkev

weird
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 02:13 PM
Saw a huge happy black ghost in a community tank at an LFS ... he seemed to like this horizontal pipe very much.