PDA

View Full Version : Hows this for a fish ?

revkev
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 09:11 AM
they call him WALLY :shock:

DR.V
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 10:30 AM
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Damn Huge !!!

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:19 AM
he looks like he could eat divers for breakfast :shock: :shock:

jim from sydney
Fri Jun 24, 2005, 11:22 AM
Wally the man-eater??????

Shawnts106
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 05:09 AM
I think this is a species of Wrass?. Possibly a grouper of some type... but My best bet is a wrass or wrass related species.. Marine of course!!! :)

WOOO THATS A FREAKEN' HUGE @$$ FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 05:17 AM
huge!!!! wrasses dont get that big do they?

Littlefish
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 08:17 AM
Humphead Maori Wrasse init??

Fred

Shawnts106
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 03:58 AM
AH! Fred, ya got it!!! smart one! :)

OH YOU WOULDNT BELIEVE how BIGGGGG wrasses get!.... well... certain species anyway... this species is commonly used in public aquariums for their size and odd shape... I KNOW that there is NO way I would have one in my tank !!!!

well... it wouldnt fit in my tank so nevermind.. The sad thing is that half the time these wrasses die in captivity because they ned to feed on corals to get ample nutrition! So they half to feed them shells mixed in there food, because they need the Ca, but if they dont do that then they their teeth grow through their heads .. kinda like bevers.... Puffers are the same way... esspecially DOG FACED PUFFERS... they half to be either fed hard foods Ca based that is, or they have to have there teeth trimmed... its really cool how they do this, they take the puffer out of the water, wrap it in a towel, turn it upside down, give it some sleepy gas and then quickly, using a powerdrill or handtool, just file down the teeth!! Ive seen it, its fun, but the puffer is so out of it it doesnt even know whats going on!

wierd huh>??<

Littlefish
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 04:58 AM
Wierd? An upside-down puffer fish wrapped in a towel, high on gas and surrounded by people applying abrasive tools to its oversized teeth...

Wierd how? :lol:

revkev
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:11 AM
Hi You guessed it the (fish) is on the barrier reef off Cains queensland.
I was told the fish has been there a long time it follows the divers around like a pet dog.I was able to touch/pat it same as a dog. The guide diver feeds it raw prawns but not too often (got to find its own tucker).
Revkev

Shawnts106
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:24 AM
IM SORRY BUT IF SOMETHING LIKE THAT THING STARTED FOLLOWING ME AROUND WHILE I WAS SUBA DIVING I WOULD JUST NOT EVER HALF TO DIVE AGAIN!

that is just WAYYYY to creepy for a 10 foot fish to be swimming around stareing you down!... I just dont trust a 10 foot really fat large wrasse following me around!

revkev
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 05:32 AM
There's old divers and bold divers but no old bold divers? :wink: :)

Shawnts106
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 09:51 PM
WHERE DID THAT COME FROM?

shrimp paste
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 04:03 AM
I think it is a humphead wrasse. Very dosile and friendly fish. They are territorial, only in that they will live at a set location on their reef. They can be hand feed. This is a large guy prob form GBR or Coral Sea. I have dived with these guys many times before. Even their cousins (blue \ green) grouper here in sydney can be easily found. Actually if you kow where the resident reefs are they will find you. They do indeed follow divers, many times i have stopped only to have one actually run in to my fins and me.
They were almost spear fished out of existence in the 70s and are now protected. They are so friendly that a blind person could have speared these guys.
If you dive, bust up a sea urchin in front of one and watch them devour it spines and all. (They are immune to the poison within sea urchins).

One of my favorite ocean fish, and the only fish i have hugged under water. hehehehe

Shawnts106
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 04:20 AM
Im sorry, but ILL SAY IT AGAIN, if something that big followed me around while I was diving I wouldnt have it!!! it just needs to go on somewhere!!!

why are they so friendly? Do they see humans as food? are they just waiting for you to leave their teritory?

goldenpigeon
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 11:49 AM
usually fish like that are friendly because they r fed. i think some creatures naturally are friendly and this guy might just be curious about the strangers.

also the odd prawn now and then helps alot :lol:

Fishpimpin73
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 01:25 PM
I would absolutely LOVE to hang out in the water with some of these fish.

That would be AWESOME!!

marg
Wed Jun 29, 2005, 12:59 PM
:thumb that is the Coolest Fish I have seen - but I'd still be swimming the other way if I saw him coming.

Woll
Thu Jun 30, 2005, 01:53 PM
hey revkev, was that at the norman reef? near green island? You go diving there from a pontoon? I seem to remember seeing wally there about 10 years ago when i went diving up there. Either that or every diving place has a wally.

revkev
Fri Jul 01, 2005, 06:40 AM
Hi yes same reef same fish I was up there mid june I was told the fish has been around 14 years?