PDA

View Full Version : breeding pair??????

germanblue
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 07:32 PM
hello everyone, i'm newbie. well, i have a 150 gals planted tank with some discus, tetras, white clouds and cats. few days ago i've noticed that two discus were appart and their colour had changed ( darker with the last 3 vertical stripes very marked ), no fish were at their area. today i,ve noticed that the fishes are shaking their bodies as epileptics jeje while cleaning amazonian leaves very hard; they spend almost the day cleaning but not constantly - clean for maybe 5 mins then go to eat then return to clean an so on. are they mated? what i'm supposed to do? leave them were they are ?
thanks

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:58 AM
yo yo yo punk and welcome to DF.com :D

yes you have got urself a pair there :D leave them where they are for the moment but very soon you will have to set up a breeding tank :D the shaking means they are getting ready to spawn.

good luck with the spawning and if u have any questions plz ask us here :D

germanblue
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:25 PM
already spawned, but male seems to be young and didn't seing fertilizing the eggs. at the beggining the female started to eat the eggs followed by the male. but then at the end she lay eggs and both starts to aereating them, now they are guarding it. but i think it will fail as not being fertile.
,how long it took for both to spawn again? should i put them on a breeder tank now?

DR.V
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:31 PM
I would suggest that you put them on a breeding tank now, so other fish wont disturb them.
When will they spawn again is depend on the fish. I got a pair that re-spawn after 6 days. Just make sure you got that regular water changes. Was this their 1st spawn ?? Normally it takes a couple of try before they get everything right. Maybe after 6-8 spawn, hopefully, they got more eggs, and the male fertilizing them all. Good luck

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 04:43 PM
Hi germanblue. Welcome to the forum. Well done on getting your first discus pair to spawn. Wonderful.

It sounds like they might be a very young pair. You can certainly leave them in the tank for a while to let them get some experience with spawning and protecting their eggs. Young males seem to take a few times before they get the spawning act right.

Refer to the post at the top of this forum for more information on breeding in "A Beginners Guide".

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3118

germanblue
Sun Jun 26, 2005, 08:34 PM
is normal for a female after laying eggs and being ate by the male, to get away from him? maybe a week ago she layed eggs and he ate them. now he is guarding the territory yet, but she seems to don't pay any attention to him. is this normal?

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 09:48 AM
Very normal behaviour for a young pair. Just give them some time, they will get it right :P

chris
Mon Jun 27, 2005, 12:09 PM
Welcome to discus, congratulations on your new pair, I agree with LadyRed, leave em in your comunity for a while, maybe wait till you see wrigglers, plenty of practice may make for good parents.
Cheers Chris :wink: