PDA

View Full Version : Spawned

oldschoolculture
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 10:24 AM
Holy cow there are eggs everywhere. Ok ok settle down. Do i just leave the light on and cover them? Do they need anything...........a smoke maybe?

Ben
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 11:37 AM
First of all well done! its great to see eggs and it means your fish are happy in thier enviroment!

If this is thier first spawn just keep an eye on them as there is a chance they might not be fertile. I have found it takes the male a couple of goes to get thing right!

Have a look at this link

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3118

You should find most answers there.

But if you have any please let us know!
cheers,

Ben

jim from sydney
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:00 PM
i agree with Ben...Ladyred we are for ever in debt to you :oops: :oops: JIm

oldschoolculture
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 01:46 PM
Thanks guys,

I'm hoping the eggs aren't fungus ridden. Its been a couple of hours with only a couple of white ones. My girlfriend is sure they are a dark orange bordering on light brown. I think they are brown. If they have fungus, could it happen that quickly

Cheers

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 01:50 PM
Fertile eggs are orange/brown in colour, and graduallly become darker. Infertile eggs turn white, and will gradually fungus unless removed by the parents.

Just keep your tank very clean now, so that there is no build up of uneaten food to cause problems to the eggs.

BTW congratulations :P

oldschoolculture
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 02:07 PM
Thanks lady red,

i see why everyone has nice things to say about u

Cheers

dizzy discus
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 12:53 AM
Congratulations!! :D :D :D

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:05 AM
congrats and hope they come thru 4 u ;)

oldschoolculture
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 01:44 AM
Ok, i woke up this morning and about 60% of them have turned white.
Is this normal? Does the male usually fertilise all or does his sperm only reach a few.

Cheers

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:01 AM
Inexperienced pairs usually take several trials before they get it right. It seems to be a learning process. The other thing you need to oberve, is that you actually do have a male and female. Two females will lay eggs in the absence of a male.

The only way to be sure is to watch the actual spawning process. The female will have a thick blunt breeding tube, while the male has a smaller 'v' shaped tube.

The female should make one or two runs laying eggs, and the male should come along right after that and fertilize. Some males are a bit 'slow' in that department, and spend all their time defending the spawning site, and forget to fertilize. After a few tries, sometimes up to 10 spawns, they usually get it right. So just give them some time, and good luck.

oldschoolculture
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 07:59 AM
Cool. I did have a look at their tubes and im positive they are male and female. The bloke i bought them off said they are around a year old. He said that they have spawned many times. Just hoping they get it right sooner or later.

Cheers