chris
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 07:21 AM
Just woundering,
how much do you feed your breeding pairs :?:
what do you feed :?:
How often do you change the water :?:

DR.V
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 03:14 PM
feed them bloodworms only because they trigger spawning too... 1 cube for a pair
daily w/c 30%

Kaza
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 02:50 AM
Once my pairs have eggs I feed very little if at all, as I find they are not interested in food, mine dont seem to want food until fry are free swimming. So if I feed it is only once a day and very little, I still feed the normal foods.

chris
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 01:24 AM
Mine still eat when they are wriggling, Its free swimming when there not all that active, but mine are still in there community tank.
How often are you changing water, I was thinking about 20% once a day.
You use RO water dont you Kaza :?:

Kaza
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 02:15 AM
Hey Chris, at the risk of getting shot down, I only change the water twice a week. I have one pair who will eat the fry if I change the water, so I dont, at first Iwas WC every day, but uni got so demanding that I had to cut back. Honestly I can see no difference by WC less often. I do use RO water, but only to take the hardness down and to filter the water. I still have the hardness set on 5 -6, and as I grow out I add shell grit to the water. I also breed in PH of 7. I think this works because I use canister filters, however of course if you were just using sponge filters you may have to WC every day.
Of interest I spoke to Simon the other day he will buy my young turks at about 1 inch size and pay $23.00 each, more for the rarer breeds. I thought that was pretty good. He told me that most people in SA can't breed discus? I dont know why. Very good for me as I have heaps of fry and eggs at the moment.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 02:20 AM
i tend to feed my pair alot. they are always interested in food even when they have eggs or fry. i think this is because i spend so much time with them :roll: i feed mine alot of breeders premium, bloodworms and beefheart :D

chris
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 07:36 AM
Simons good isnt he Karen he told me the same thing, people in SA have had some trouble but your proving him wrong, me to soon hopefully.

Kaza
Sat Jun 25, 2005, 11:26 AM
Lets keep our fingers crossed, I would love to recoop some of the money I have put into the fish, equipment etc...