PDA

View Full Version : What do you keep in a hospital tank to keep the biological

texasborn
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:30 AM
What do you keep in a hospital tank to keep the biological bacteria going?

kevkoi
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:31 AM
couple of corydoras? :wink:

Proteus
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:41 AM
I would tend to want to keep the hospital tank empty when not in use, and rather have 1-2 extra sponge filters in operation on the main tank.

This achieves 2 purposes, extra filtration for the main tank, plus the ability of being able to instantly deploy them in a hospital tank, with some exsisting tank water, and bang, there you go, an instantly cycled tank.

I would do this as some Med's that might be used may be detrimental to other fish, plus, it is one less tank to maintain, hoping that you dont have to use it very often...

texasborn
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:45 AM
sounds good, I didnt know how it would stay cycled. How much estblished tank water do you use?

Proteus
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:51 AM
probably fill the hospital tank 30-50% (assuming it is a lot smaller than the main tank).

Then add treated/aged water as per during normal water changes.

(dont forget a heater as well)

flukes
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 05:34 AM
To keep the biological filtration alive add 4ml of ammonia a day, this must be pure ammonia. Because the ammonia is being turned into nitrite then nitrate you will need to do water changes. Or before you put the fish in do a big water change, also stop adding ammonia the day before you put the infected fish in. Ammonia of 4ml is like 5ppm which is high, this amount should be turned into nitrate within 12hours.
Do a google search about fishless cycling, now use this but the cycle is already complete and your just adding the ammonia to keep the biological filtration present. Adding these amounts will create alot more bacteria then adding 1 or 2 hardy fish. Thats i why i prefer it because when i do my fishless cycling and after the ammonia and nitrite peaks are finished, i stop adding the ammonia and the next day i can fully load my tank. There is more than enough bacteria as even a over populated tank couldnt get ammonia level to 5ppm.

HTH
Scott

luvfishies
Wed Apr 14, 2004, 04:03 AM
I rec the ammonia route as well.

BUT that said, you can always keep a hydrosponge in the main tank, and move it over to the hospital tank as needed. Sterilise it after, and pop it back into the main tank to re-seed, and be ready for the next use.

Lily
Fri Apr 16, 2004, 11:19 PM
I love the fishless cycle with ammonia, but it would only work if you were willing to "feed" the hospital tank with ammonia daily. This can seem like a waste of time - and ammonia - if 6 months goes by with no sick fish! The extra filter in the main tank idea is a lower maintenance option.

kevkoi
Sat Apr 17, 2004, 02:02 AM
now question is can you resist having an empty 2ft tank just lying around without fish for 6months?! :lol:

Lily
Sat Apr 17, 2004, 12:45 PM
spoken like a true betta breeder, Kev :)