PDA

View Full Version : Backgroung and sponge colour

jwight
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:12 PM
I have seen on this forum and maybe I am jumping the gun as I dont even have a pair. But some people may wont to know. I am led to believe that a dark colour sponge is a bad thing as the fry are drawn to it. The question then is if the background colour is black is that bad. And how many sides should be covered?

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:17 PM
Actually blue seems to be the best colour for a breeding tank. A mid to light blue works well. Most people paint three sides of the tank, to give the pair a feeling of security.

If you have any dark sponges or intake pipes in the tank, simply wrap them in white filter wool. We are trying to make the parents the darkest thing in the tank, so the fry, who are drawn to dark objects, will head straight for their parents, and not hang around the sponge and die.

jwight
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:21 PM
That was a quick reply ladyred thanks. There are white/yellow sponges you can buy would that work. More attractive and functional I would imagine.

jwight
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:24 PM
Forgot to ask. What type of paint is best. Does the tank have to be empty when painting i.e. just in case.

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:49 PM
Any paint can be used. I have used just a cheap plastic paint. It needs two coats, but it looks great.

Your tank must be empty when you paint it. You want to be able to paint the bottom of the tank as well (on the outside, naturally).

And paint fumes are not good near fish, so try to paint the tank outside, or at least in another room.