PDA

View Full Version : lights for breeders

oldschoolculture
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:26 PM
Hi,
just wondering if a breeding pair needs a light. Or will natural sunlight during the day do?
Cheers

Benny
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:31 PM
Once they have fry, they need 24/7 light so that the parents can keep a watch on wrigglers, and so wrigglers can find their way back to their parents etc

oldschoolculture
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:32 PM
should it be a bright light or just a dim lamp?
cheers

Benny
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 01:21 PM
LR usually suggests like a lamp next to the tank, or covering 1/2 your neon tube light sorta thing...

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:44 PM
Hi OSC and welcome to the forum. The light in a breeding tank should be adequate, but not anything like a display tank. Natural daylight is fine for breeding pairs, but as Benny said, once they have eggs or wrigglers I leave a light on 24 hours a day.

Not a bright light, just like a bedside lamp is fine, just so the parents can see their fry, and the fry don't go off and get lost in the night. I find that mine have a better growth rate if I leave a light on for the first two weeks after free swimming.

You can use the tank light if you wish, but cover part of the tank lid with alfoil to provide some shade from the bright light.

You'll find more information under Breeding Basics, A Beginners Guide, at the top of the breeding section.

Benny
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 02:32 AM
im starting to know my stuff hehehe
i just gotta pray my fish pair off eventually :(

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 06:45 AM
They will Benny. You're a fast learner :D

Benny
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 07:03 AM
I hope the same goes for business law tomorrow :'(

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 07:06 AM