PDA

View Full Version : Overflow boxes,

Benny
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 05:51 AM
Ok guys i got a blondeish question...
for those with sump filters, why use an overflow box? why not just use one of the U pieces from a canister filter?

premier
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 06:46 PM
theres more than one answer to this. heres a couple for now, if u have a power cut the tank will siphon down to the level of the bottom of the "u pipe" u talked of and more than likely flood the sump and flooring, then when the power comes back on the sump will empty however the siphon would have to be manually restarted, the pump would run dry. *an overflow box limits the amount that can siphon, with some planning it would be less volume than the sump can manage to hold. *the overflow box also allows you to draw water from the surface as well as below the surface.
lastly the rate of siphon thru your "u pipe" and the return flow to the tank is not too easy to match, and changes, and over a period of hours may cause the pump to run dry, or flood. also if it siphons faster than the return and the "u pipe" sucks air, the siphon effect can stop altogether and the sump will empty everything into the tank and u may have flooding. a electric gate valve on the pipe to the sump would solve a couple of issues but sorry even with an overflow box your "u pipe" sucks more than just water! - if u have an outlet hole drilled in your tank, what u pump in is what will come out. no fuss

Benny
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 11:28 PM
fair enough, i just thought of perhaps making a shortened U, in case of a black out, plus im in the process of designing a valve that'll close when the power cuts out..

kalebjarrod
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 09:29 AM
You need one of these not a U tube

if you get a black out this will only drain to a level

and when the power comes back on they are primed ready to go

or you can drill your tanks and try it a different way :wink:

Benny
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 12:45 PM
sexy overflow box, but where do u get that from? looks expensive to get custom made too... might have to get crafty with perspex and my g/f's dads hot glue gun...

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 12:34 AM
lol only sum1 like u benny would get turned on by an overflow box :roll:

dreamer
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 02:49 AM
you can easily make one from pvc ... not as sexy but lot cheaper and works just as good :)

premier
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 02:16 PM
no probs benny, i thought of doing that but never went there, i made a large trickle filter and have it mounted above my tank, a prob with this can be if the pump which u then mount in the tank frys a magnet u risk losing fish!
- i like that overflow box ryan u have pictured i was not thinking of that style in my last post. i havn't seen one before and it is highly attractive indeed.
- a question i would ask of it is how much can it flow in approx litres per hour any idea?
i experimented with basic setups like that but flowrate steered me away as i run mainly 6' x 20" x 20".

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 23, 2005, 08:41 AM
one of those boxes should be able to cope with 3000-4000 litres per hour

although i would test it out side first

you can make a similar system, just as good looking with the help of tupperware a couple of pvc bits and a tank through!