PDA

View Full Version : Discus pointing down!!!

clowes69
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 03:04 AM
Hi everyone, i need some help!!

one of my discus is very sick, hes always got his nose pointing down the the bottom of the tank and has stopped eating. whats wrong with him?

he hasnt been well since i bought him, i think when i pur him in my tanks the pH difference was a bit too much, his mate picked up within a few days but this one has just kept going down hill

can u help me?

thanks

steve

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 04:50 AM
Hi Steve, swim bladder disorder can make them point downwards. This can clear up by it'self or it can be caused by a bacterial infection.

If he's been like this for a few days, it is more likely to be bacterial and needs to be treated before the fish becomes too weak. Can you remove him to a hospital tank, without filtration, but with a heater and airstone.

I would treat with Tetracycline which you should be able to buy from your aquarium shop. It will turn the water yellow, and kill your bio filter, hence the reason for a hospital tank, and an airstone alone.

Follow the directions carefully, and continue treatment till all signs of headstanding have gone.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted.

clowes69
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 05:54 AM
Hi Ladyred, i got some aquari-cycline tablet from the aquarium. the concentration in them is 346mg/kg tetracycline.

i moved the fish into a 2ft tanks with about 45 liters of water. i put in 2 and a half tablets. the fish went into the tank nicely without a struggle so im thinking at least i didnt stress it out too much with the move.

i noticed its slime coating starting to stip off, is this normal? how long before i do a water change too?

thanks

steve

clowes69
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 08:29 AM
Hey Merrilyn,

my discus was showing signs of propper swimming last night. i went out to them this morning and she was all better. i did a 50% water change and left it for the day and came home, it was still swimming good so i moved it back into a 4ft tanks. the next challenge is to get it eating again

thanks for your help

steve

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 22, 2005, 09:38 AM
Excellent news Steve. Glad to hear he is better.

Keep us posted.

clowes69
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 07:10 AM
Hey Merrilyn,

i got some brine shrimp for my sick discus on the weekend and it was picking around, i think its eating again (slowly) but at least its eating somthing. it had stopped eating and is very thin, i hope it gets its appetite back so i can beef it up on beefheart mix asap :)

thanks again for ur help

steve

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 08:34 AM
Keep us posted Steve.

jim from sydney
Tue Jun 28, 2005, 10:18 AM
Hi Steve.....that is great news.......keep giving her plenty of that thing called "love".. :angel ........Jim