PDA

View Full Version : RODI?

Shawnts106
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 12:47 AM
Im getting an RODI for my Discus tank and my Reef Tank... I want one of the best there is... what brand tell me everything you can about them... all about their filtration process, stages and alllll that tech stuff...

what brand do you vote best??? what brand do you think that works well... how many stages should I get?

our water here is fairy soft... with a pH around 7.4 or so and good water quality, no NITRATES/NITRITE/AMMONIA I dont know about our taps phos and silica level but we do have a good water source... so what stage system would you recommend...???

thanks for the help!

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:13 AM
Shawn, very few of us in Australia use a full system like that. Our water comes out of the tap almost perfect for discus. Almost neutral and very soft.

Maybe some of our other members can advise you.

Shawnts106
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 09:26 PM
well here in Oxford Alabama, our water isnt bad, we get a read out of it and its not bad, its got a pH around 7.4 or so, depending on the time of year.... and also, its good water quality, we have 2 massive filtration houses for our water treatment... they are building another now to get the TCEs or something like that down... anyway

I would like one anyway, I want H2O not H2OCLMnStHgAuAgCN blah blah blah blah blah blah blah... you know?

anyway... thanks!

Blue
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:29 PM
http://aolsearch.aol.co.uk/redir?urn=http://www.thekrib.com/Filters/ro.html&rank=8&source=AstWebSearch&searchType=MS&partner=Google&query=reverse+osmosis+aquatics

Hope this helps.

Fishpimpin73
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:57 PM
If you want to completely strip your water down to "purify" it, then you are best using a 4 if not 5 stage system.

The problem with "stripping" your water down that far is the when you do get your water you have to ADD things BACK INTO IT.

All of the trace elements that are required to keep ( especially a SW ) aquarium are being removed when you "strip" it.

Now if you had a specific problem that using RO would eliminate, or would benefit by recreating your own specific chem I would tell you to go for it.

But in all honesty, any more than a 3 stage system is a waste of money, time, and energy unless you HAVE TO "strip" your water.

7.4 is a very good PH, and if it is solid and steady, there is really no reason to go and mess with it.

You would be better off finding natural ways to buffer your water in either direction.
Since you have a SW tank you are already familiar with PH swings and the importance of keeping things "balanced".

If you proceed on this course you run the VERY REAL possibility of CREATING issues with your chem.

I would do alot of serious research b4 commiting to buying a RO system until you are aware of all of the facts.

There are easier and far safer ways ( IMO/E ) to fiddle with your chem to get it just right without spending hundreds of dollars on something that honestly may not be right for you.

Just my 2 cents.

Shawnts106
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:25 AM
All of the trace elements that are required to keep ( especially a SW ) aquarium are being removed when you "strip" it.

No, in SW this is good, because the salt you use has every trace,major and minor element in it.. I like to use TROPIC MARIN PRO REEF SALT.. its the best, german made :)

anyway.... I see what you meen by the pH thing and such... I wasnt thinking about putting kH and gH BACK into the water.. thank you for telling me this!.. I think im going to go with a 2 stage... or possibly just a brita water purifier .. or... Pure water filter... they strip the water of alot of contaminats.. I think this is what I am going to use instead of an expensive RODI unit!!! Our water isnt that bad.. its really good... but the gH and kH are a bit high for discus...

as far as messing with my pH... I really like to duplicate the environment that fish are found in.. im just a naturalist so to speak.. so... I always try to duplicate nature when messing with nature as much as I can... including fish keeping!... pH is a biggy to me... SW aquariums need a stable pH of 8.2 to 8.3.. this is what the OCEAN is... so therefore the tank should be the same.. there is NO difference in that and that of the amazon based tank for the amazonian fishes... Its the same principle.. you cant keep SW fish in a pH of 7.4 to 7.8... they die.. quite quickly.. even if your pH is stable and drops VERY SLOWLY!... they cant tolerate it.. corals are the same..
freshwater tanks IMO are SOOO MUCH MORE harder to fool with because there is a limited amount of ecology you can add... with sw tanks you have a MASSIVE ecology going on... in FW tanks its harder to do that!BUT.. imo, if you want healthy truely stress free happy fish.. you need to get that same kind of ecology going... including bacteria, plantlife, animal life and all that micro/macro stuff!

but this is just my OPINION! ;)

thanks for yours.. it helped! :)

oh.. and dont ever send me any links from the krib again!!! I HATE THAT SITE!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fishpimpin73
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 02:42 AM
Not all reef salts are created equal, and not ALL of the trace elements are replaced by adding salt.

Every reef is different.

Every tank has its own needs and requirements.

Many SW keepers use RO water, but there are just as many that think it is a waste of time, effort, and money.

Most of the culturists that I have been in contact with don't think it is even necc.

To each his own.

Ideally the BEST water is from the ocean, and those that have access to a clean source ( i.e. self collected or from a public aquarium ) have had great success with very little trouble in the long term.

glstine
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 04:51 AM
Check out http://stores.ebay.com/The-Aqua-Safe-Pure-Water-Shop_W0QQssPageNameZviQ3asibQ3astoreviewQQtZkm
I have one of their systems sans DI and it does wonders to our extremely hard and alkaline water. Very affordable too. Thinking of adding DI as well to mine due to concerns about phosphates. Do have to buffer it though as pimpin' said. Had a problem with ph crashes before I figured that out. I use it for my discus and sw tanks.

Shawnts106
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 02:21 AM
hum, true... not all salts are created equal.. I HATE *******!!!!!!!
its the crappiest salt ive ever used... Im sticking to redsea and tropicmarin!!!!

ebay has these ro units for .99 cents??? somthing isnt right about that!!!

glstine
Thu Jul 07, 2005, 01:33 PM
That's the starting bid, they generally go for around $90 or so. That place use to have buy it now prices, not sure why they don't now. Beats paying $200 or so for a name brand system and works great. My water out of the tap is ph 8.6, kH 17, and gh so high I gave up trying to measure it. Out of the filter the ph is in the low 6's (don't remember exactly at the moment) and kh -gh of 0. Of course you have to buffer it some afterwards. I use tap water to do that.

Shawnts106
Fri Jul 08, 2005, 02:01 AM
just a little sketchy because of the low starting bid!!! makes me wonder!

I suppose there was a surplus and they are trying to get rid of them? Im definatly going to place a bid as soon as I get money LOL!!!!