PDA

View Full Version : Black Beard and Brown Algae eaters

jwight
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 03:11 PM
I have a slight visual problem with black beard algae on driftwood and a brown stringy algae on plants. I was wondering what causes it and what fish will eat it that will be good with discus.

pH: 7
GH: 6*DH
KH: 3*DH
Nitrate: 10
Temp: 30*

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 19, 2005, 04:21 PM
A group of young bristlenose cats will keep the black beard algae down, but as they get older, they get to be a bit more fussy, and don't seem to like it as much.

Nat
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 05:53 AM
Bristlenoses are great and if you want to go a little fancier the peppermint bristlenoses look fantastic!!!

duck
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 06:18 AM
What's your Phosphate levels?

BBA ususally from low nitrate's and your phosphate's beening too high inbalance, from feeding, main cause.

Since you have stringy algae i would say your PO4 is too high-to your nitrate's therefore an inbalance between your NO3-PO4 a ratio of 10ppm-1-2ppm.
The best fish to have is the ottocinculs(spelling)
I have then with my discus no problem and the tank sit's on 30c.

You must srub the wood clean.

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 08:54 AM
Ahhhhh thanks duck. Appreciate your input :wink:

Plants are definately not my area of expertise.

jwight
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 02:54 PM
I have 4 youngish bristlenose cats and I have never seen them eat it. I was thinking about ottos but know about there ability to die soon after putting them in the tank. And the temp thing. thanks.

duck
Tue Jun 21, 2005, 12:42 PM
That is a little problem,I have lost a couple but i still have them in a 30c temp tank seem ok.