PDA

View Full Version : Cheap Tanks

Himbo
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:47 PM
Anyone know the best place to buy cheap tanks from? Especially Adelaide, or mailorder sent to Adelaide.

I'm looking for 2-3 tanks 2ftx16inx20in - I think that is a nonstandard size. Someone has suggested $30-$40 is the going rate, but my LFS wants to sell them for $130 each!!! :shock: Big difference!

Thanks.

Proteus
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:51 PM
Why not put up a WTB : 2ft tanks - Adelaide post in the classifieds section, it may catch someones attention.

A tank that size would not be too hard to put together yourself if you feel up to it...

Himbo
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:01 AM
You're right, it probably won't be too difficult, but I've never done it before, have no idea how to go about it, have absolutely no equipment and don't have that much time. By the time I add up all the above, it'll probably work out to be more expensive! :(

The idea of a WTB notice is good though, I'll try. Thanks for the suggestion.

Proteus
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 12:05 AM
NP, there are a few other Adelaide members here, so they may be able to suggest something or help out in some way...

as for shipping a tank... not worth it, and too risky, you will probably end up with pieces of glass, and a very empty wallet (size & weight would cost a bit to send)

flukes
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 05:50 AM
I think $130 would be with a stand or cabnet. As here a 4ft on a stand goes for $90 retail. I dont think a 2ft would cost you more than $40 and thats being generous.

Himbo
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 08:28 AM
I'm beginning to think that I live in the wrong area... $120 without stand is still the cheapest price I've been able to get... the 4ft stand is $145. I'm still waiting on a quote by "the cheapest place in Adelaide" tomorrow.... :cry:

flukes
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 08:51 AM
Ahhh i just read the measurements again, because its not a "standard" tank, aquariums will charge more, but that's bit re-god-damn-diculous.
I think AdelaideAnt works for a fish store in SA, worth giving him a PM, even if they dont have it on the floor he must have a supplier that they can contact. I just rang a lfs here that is cheap and gives over the phone quotes and he said $60-$70, I think the higher tanks has not really hit Australia yet. The tanks are getting longer and longer but they never seem to get higher. Anyway speak to Ant and see what he says.

fishpimp
Sun May 16, 2004, 02:56 AM
hi there guys
impressed with this forum site-
here in adelaide and agree pricing on tanks is desirable
-try budget aquariums, talk to Huey he has contacts and is good with pricing by quantity.

kalebjarrod
Sun Jun 13, 2004, 11:58 PM
try this site www.aquarticles.com

they some really clear articles on tank building

they make it sound so simple you'll give it a go for sure!

nicholas76
Mon Jun 14, 2004, 06:13 AM
The price diffrence has probably got to do with the thickness of the glass

a standard 3ft tank should cost about $50 , but with a ten ml base your looking at more than double.

Again I'd check too see what glass thickness your LFS is talking about

Nick