PDA

View Full Version : Hey look at me im incompentent

cody
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 07:35 AM
I tne coming months this will be my new venture!!DISCUS!!just cause there cool.
What size tank do you recomend for an average sized decent discus comunity im thinkn 18high an 14 wide but its a toss up un going 4,5 or 6 foot long with two 1000l/h x-cannisters i dont know much about these fish except they look good an require exceptional water quality

Benny
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 07:48 AM
the answer to that question is "the bigger the better" or so i am led to believe... People have a rule of thumb, that an adult discus each requires 40L or so of tank capacity.. so work out how many fish you would like to keep, then figure out a suitable volume tank, then make sure your filtration per hour is four times the total tank volume...!!

good luck :)

A standard 6x2x2 is approx 648L , though you wouldnt ever fill it to the top, you would have say 600L of water in ite 2000L/H would be OK, but a bit more filtration is better.. And by that 40L rule of thumb you could keep anywhere up to 15 fish in that tank.... Considered a sump filtration setup? the benefits seem to outweigh the costs?

Im more then happy for someone with more knowledge to point out any inaccuracies in what ive just said,

Regards,
Benny

cody
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 07:52 AM
Where can if find some info on a freshwater sump for an undrilled tank

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:35 AM
Hi Cody, welcome to the forum. Seems like I already know you :wink:

Sooooo discus now. Good choice. 8-)

As far as tank size ......... a standard four footer is a good start. That will allow you to keep 6 juveniles in comfort, and still enough room for when they grow and begin to pair off. If you want to breed them, then you will need a second tank, but that's a long way down the track.

Discus are not hard to keep, despite what many people will tell you. If you start with young, healthy stock, treat them regularly for gill flukes and worms, you should have a long happy life with them. Discus can live to around 10 - 14 years, so this is a long term venture.

Two canister filters will be plenty on a four or even a six foot tank. Discus do like clean well filtered water, but they don't like a lot of water current in the tank.

Why not come and join us for our get together on the 2nd July, and you can see some of my discus and the tank set up,and talk discus all afternoon. More information in the Amazon Lounge. :P

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 10:49 AM
hi cody and welcome to DF.com :D

the guys have told u the basics already. )

r u from melbourne? if so go to the meet and greet for the melb crew and i might c u there ;)