PDA

View Full Version : Electronic pH Tester

Proteus
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 09:54 PM
Just a FYI for all you Discus addicts...

Over the weekend I decided, enough of playing the colour matching game, over and over again (manual pH tests on several tanks). So I did some looking around and found that DSE (Dick Smith Electronics) have a nice little sale on at the moment, and the Digital pH Meter was reduced from AU$99 to AU$67 (30% off... not too shabby).

After using it a few times I must say it is soooooooooooo much easier than the other way... especially when taking into account having to test more than one tank.

It comes in a handy hard case, batteries included with a large jar of calibration fluid and a calibration tool (small screwdriver). The probe extends to approx 10cm for ease of use...

Just thought I would share this info, they are on sale till the 26th of April.

Proteus
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 09:58 PM
Here is the blurb and related specs regarding this unit.

A high quality digital water pH meter that is lightweight and compact enough to fit in your pocket. Measures water pH in swimming pools, spas, aquariums, aquaculture, hydroponics, photographic processes, cooling towers, water and wastewater treatments, boiler steam generators, car washes, sanitation plants, ecology studies and in laboratory applications. Comes complete with protective case, batteries and pH7 buffer solution.

Specifications:
Range: 0.00 - 14.00pH
Resolution: 0.01pH
Accuracy: +- 0.02pH
ATC: 0-50 degrees celsius
Battery: 1.4V x 3pcs (A76 type)
Size: 158 x 40 x 34mm
Weight (w/bat.): 90g

http://www.dse.com.au/isroot/dse/images/products/q1416.jpg

Digital Fluid pH Meter & Case (http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/407b1037105a3566273fc0a87f9c06e2/Product/View/Q1416)

flukes
Tue Apr 13, 2004, 05:49 AM
Thanks Proteus, i was looking for one of these but my mate just got a milwalkee pen and they are meant to be the best, but the damn thing is always way off. The probes might have had it because he got it from his work (his a jockey) Apparently they use them in the horse pools as a certain ph is desired. Wouldnt never have guessed.

Proteus
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 12:47 AM
I have had the chance to compare this pH tester against 2 commercial testing units plus a couple of manual kits and it is spot on...

...plus, a sample of water was analysed at a lab by a friend... (using a spectrometer or something like that) and the result it gave was 2/100ths off what I got (bearing in mind the pH tester displays to the 1/100th).

To make this a foolproof testing unit, get your hands on some laboratory grade buffers, and that should ensure almost perfect results every time.

HTH

Chris McMahon
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 02:39 AM
Can the DS version be user calibrated?

Proteus
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 06:13 AM
You bet...

and it only takes a few seconds...

just extend the probe, dip it into the buffer solution, give it a little stir so the entire probe is in contact with the solution, then use the small tool (screwdriver that is included) to adjust the level.

I calibrate my tester every 3-4 days, and at worst I only have to adjust it .01 to .03 back to 7.00.

luvfishies
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:21 PM
Jeez, no such deals on such a nice tool here! pH tester probes are minimum $150 CDN!

Proteus
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:25 PM
Luv, if you want I could always get one and send it to you...

it just uses 3 of those small button type batteries that are available everywhere, and with the CA & AU dollar almost the same it makes it half the price of what you can get over there...

AND... although I doubt it, but if you ever had a problem with it, you have a contact here to arrange repair or replacement so minimal risk to you...

luvfishies
Wed Apr 28, 2004, 11:33 PM
Ro, let me do some diggin around here. I don't test pH all that much, except in the CO2-injected tanks, and of course in the spring and fall. The tapwater goes wonky at those times. Recently it's gone from dKH5 to dKH2-3. Lovely for discus, not so great for the Mbuna and Tangs.

Chris McMahon
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 05:45 AM
I found another cheap PH tester here (http://www.aquaria.com.au/cgi-bin/db/show?db=aquariacat&Section=Freshwater&Category=Water+Testing+Equipment&ProductName=PH+pen+ON+SALE). Free shipping Australia wide. Don't know if it's user calibrated.

Proteus
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 06:41 AM
Thanks for the FYI Chris... but UG!! they are horrible to use...

I was using one the other day, and it was SOOOOOOOOOO far off the correct level it wasnt funny (bearing in mind we are talking about the one I tried).

The on/off switch is awkward being a manual switch compared to a push button built into the unit, also the DS model has an extendable probe, so you keep the water away from the electronics, whereas the other one is a fixed body. The DS model has better surface contact with the water... etc, etc...

Disclaimer - these observations are based on what I have used and my personal preference regarding gadgetry...

DS = 9/10

ATC = 2/10

Chris McMahon
Thu Apr 29, 2004, 09:55 AM
Interesting. I was tossing up between the two. I think I'll go the DSE model.

Proteus
Wed May 05, 2004, 07:28 AM
Chris, let me know if you get one and how you find it...

cheers

Chris McMahon
Thu May 20, 2004, 12:15 PM
Finally was near a Dick Smith store and had the time to pick up a ph meter today. Unfortunately they had gone up to $99 from $67.

I didn't get one.

PS.Just noticed the censorship of my post. Guess I'm lucky my first name isn't the same as Mr. Smith's. Surely in 2004 we don't need to be protected from the short form of Richard?

Proteus
Thu May 20, 2004, 03:25 PM
lol at the word censor....

funny how it picks up things like D I C K

:wink:

D.J
Tue Aug 03, 2004, 10:38 AM
Hi Guys, I have been reading this forum since I bought my first discus back in April, and I just bought my D I C K smith digital ph tester on the weekend.
Just want to let you know that they have the special again right now for limited time only.
They have it reduced from $99.00 to $66.00, which is 33% off :D .

Proteus
Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:05 PM
Thanks for letting us know D.J

I have found this unit to be of excellent quality, far, far superior to those wonky pen type units.

I calibrate mine once a week, and if anything it only needs tweaking .01 to .05, not much at all...

I do suggest, if you can get some Laboratory grade calibration fluid, do so, as combined with the good stuff, the pH tester gives as close to a perfectly accurate reading as you will ever get.

Proteus
Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:07 PM
mmmm, maybe, I might give the folks at DSE a call and see if we can get a discount for placing a bulk order, or, just a better price for the free plug theye are getting here...

:wink:

worth a try I would say.

Mattzilla
Tue Aug 03, 2004, 02:10 PM
i may be interested in dse ph tester....