PDA

View Full Version : T5 lighting? Confused :(

nature
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 09:23 AM
Hey all... been reading articles on lighting for planted tank... am still confused though... what is the difference btw t5 lighting and normal light reflector such as aqua 1 double?? R they not the same? Setting up a 4 ft tank lying around hehehe

thx all
:?:

Proteus
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 10:56 AM
T5 is a totally different lighting system

Better than T8 (what we use now) but not as good as MH.

T5's require totally different fittings and ballasts as well.

Other than that, I have not tried them yet

nature
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 12:01 PM
so the normal reflector we used atm is T8 then... am not prepare to go for MH, tank is only 20 inch high so don't think its worth it... Planning to grow that glossostigma, fabulous in Duck's tank :)... any input anyone??

duck
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:12 PM
T5's are completely different to T8's.
You need to buy a complete new set up, T5's are halve the size to T8"s and have Elctronic ballast.
I'm using household fitting's with no diffuser hooked up to the lid of my tank.That's the cheap way, I wouldn't know where you can get them over there.
The globes i'm using are daylight 6000k sylvania 860.
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/c_duck_c/IMG_1446.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y73/c_duck_c/IMG_1447.jpg

duck
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:17 PM
Also it's the intensity of the light,Since i put the T5's in i haven't look at anything else.

Fishpimpin73
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 01:22 PM
The major diff's are size of the bulb, lifespan, and output.

T5 bulbs are much smaller than T8 ( or *gasp* T12 ), last ( reportedly ) twice as long, and offer double the output of thier larger cousins.

The retrofit kits are fairly cheap ( at least here in the states ) and very easy to hook up.

They are deff worth the money if you are looking to upgrade, but don't want to shell out the duckets for a whole new rig.

HTH

nature
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 05:27 AM
It seem aquatic life aquarium have them in stock
aquamedic T5 sunbeam light system, now just have to contact them or visit my lfs 1st to check :)
Nice tank Duck!!!