PDA

View Full Version : Tank cycling

chris
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:23 PM
Would this tank be ready, 2 foot one internal fluval runing for about 6 months one sponge filter running nearly two weeks, gravel which is coming out tomorrow. 1 gold fish that I have been pumping flake into it,
Tank temp is 29 degrees. Fluval due to come out soon but I could keep it in longer whilst The pair are getting used to tank and surroundings.
What readings do I look for when A tank is properly cycled :?:
At the moment I have slight amonia trace 0 nitrite and nitrates.

ctvu
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:41 PM
Would this tank be ready?....
What readings do I look for when A tank is properly cycled :?:

Hi Chirs

Idealy Ammo = 0.0, Nitrite = 0.0, Nitrate = 0.0

HTH

ctvu

leanne31
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:58 PM
Chris you should be getting 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and be showing a reading of nitrates how often are you doing water changes etc on that tank.

chris
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:36 PM
Water changes every 2 days bout 20%, just a bit concerned if the tank will be ready to roll after gravel taken out, might wait little longer and take more readings after gravel is out.

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:45 PM
yes, that's a good idea. I'd like to see at least some reading of nitrate, and a zero ammonia reading.

Just stop your water changes for a few days, and see what happens to the ammonia and nitrate levels.

Remove the gravel as planned, and continue to take your readings. I'd wait a bit longer before I put the discus pair in there, at least till we get a zero ammonia.

chris
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks merrilyn and leanne its good to have some back up support.
Cheers :!: :wink:

chris
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 12:00 PM
Gravels out :!: slight Amonia traces 0 nitates 0 nitrites,
Things have changed at the moment my Turq pair have got plenty of free swimming fry , I think with all there practice they have had, they got it right in my comunity tank, this time they spwaned close to a tank corner and are looking after the fry beautifully. This is the longest they have lasted, so if they last a week I will try and stick them in my breeding tank. With the pair and see what happens.
It is sad to see them not make but who knows what will happen :!:

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 04:24 PM
Wow, great news Chris. If you decide to transfer the pair over with their fry, try to take 2/3 of the water from the community tank so as not to shock the fry. It can be done, and I have done it myself. Move the fry first, then the parents. If you take the parents first, the fry will scatter, and you'll never catch them.

Use a very soft net with fine mesh, and have them out of the water for a short a time as possible.

chris
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 11:50 PM
Merrilyn are you saying I could do this strait away :!:
That would be cool :twisted:

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 18, 2005, 11:58 PM
Tiny fry are so delicate, it's best if you can give them a few more days.

But if it's a choice between that and being eaten.........................I think I'd try. JMHO

chris
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 01:05 AM
Fry all gone over night, not to worry, other tank nearly ready.
Im still using two filters at the moment, I might leave the two in for a while and take the filter out after the pair have been in for 4 to 5 days.

leanne31
Mon Jun 20, 2005, 07:07 AM
Leave the 2 filters in with the pair and test your water when you get 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and a reading of nitrates your be fine to remove one but must keep an eye on your readings after you have done this.