PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have experience with parents who have two lots of fry

Kaza
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 08:53 AM
I have wrigglers plus fry 9 days old, so far parents are looking after them both, but what about when the fry go free swimming should I take the first young out?? They are still only feeding from the parents not even trying to feed from the tank floor yet. If I leave them together will the parents eat the smaller fry??? Any help would be great, these fish drive me mental first they dont breed and then almost every fish I have decides to breed (even very young ones)

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 09:26 AM
Well, all pairs are different, but they are quite capable of raising both sets of fry, depending on the numbers.

As you know, every day is a risk, but so far, they seem to be doing great. Keep offering the older fry live bbs to keep them growing, and keep the parents well fed.

The new fry should attach well because they will see the older fry and just follow them.

Hope you are keeping a photo record of this remarkable event. :wink:

leanne31
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 03:29 AM
Just wondering how they are today have the new fry gone free swimming yet.

Leanne

Kaza
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:03 AM
Just starting to free swim now, the parents still seem to be caring for both lots of young. I have another pair with eggs due to hatch tonight so maybe I can transfer the smallers ones in a few days. Hey when are you going to take some photos for me.

leanne31
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:10 AM
Let me know the days you'll be home I was gonna come round today and take photos but been feeling a bit sick so didnt make it.

Leanne

leanne31
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 04:39 AM
Just went round to Karens and took a couple of shots I was in a bit of a hurry so I'll take some better ones when she is home. The first pic shows the wrigglers on the glass there are some actually free swimming as well and the second shot shows fry on back that are only I think 1 week old and in the same tank as the wrigglers its amazing they are taking care of both lots at the moment. Sorry not great pics but didnt want to spook them and it was really hard for my camera to focus on the fish as they are light in colour and this tank has only natural light no tank lights as well.

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:09 PM
That's amazing :shock:

Great shots Leanne. Please try to take some more shots, as this is a pretty rare occurance :P