PDA

View Full Version : 8 days after treating with Metro

DR.V
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:13 PM
8 days after treating with Metro my discus still wont eat, what should i do ?
treat again with metro ??

Thanks all

weird
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:32 PM
Sorry if I missed your other posts, but how big is your tank and how much have you been treating them with ?

I had a drama that lasted over 3-4 weeks ... but after getting the dose right ... about 3 treatments ... last one a very heavy treatment ... everything came right eventually but gee tough period.

LadyRed should be able to fix you up with the dosage, also there is a very good link that is searchable on the site, that provides excellent information in regards to the treatment ... sorry I don't have it on hand but someone may be able to add it here.

Dee
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 02:53 PM
Hi,

I think this may be the link Dave is refering too - http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/spironucleus.php

It's a good informative read regarding Hex (spironucleus), well worth reading.

HTH

Cheers,

Dee :)

weird
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 03:05 PM
Thats the one Dee ! ;) Thanks.

Discusforums and that article being pm'ed to me ages ago (thankyou !) was a real turning point for me with the very successful upkeep of discus =)

DR.V
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 04:56 PM
my tank is 90L , and i treat 3 tablets a day for 3 days. since day 1 till day 10 i do daily w/c 35%.
Yet my discus still not eating?? should i double the dose and treat with metro again ??

Thanks

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:21 AM
Are they showing any other signs, other than not eating. Like dark colours or white poos?

See if you can get some live brine shrimp to tempt them to start eating. Once they start, there will be no stopping them.

dreamer
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:31 AM
sometimes it takes couple of days to get their appetite back ...just keep an eye on them for now

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:49 AM
the poos are back to normal, like black stuff
no other signs, they just look normal now, swim around in the tank where before , they just stay in one corner.

Thanks all, i'll try and get some brine shrimp today

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:57 AM
sometimes it takes couple of days to get their appetite back ...just keep an eye on them for now

Yeah, its already 9 days since the treament finished and yet they still wont eat dreamer .. hm ... ???

dreamer
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 04:35 AM
maybe its time for another treatment with double dose.

for last resource you could try to force feed them powdered tetrabits+metro with syringe, not very fish friendly method and can cause lots of stress to the fish. i tried this once and it worked ...maybe im just lucky :)

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 05:02 AM
Owwwww dreamer. That really would be a last resort. I'd rather have a vet inject them.

dreamer
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 06:31 AM
i dont think vet would perform any better as we all aware there is pretty much none vet that deal with fish. as i said do it gently ... and at your own risk :)

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 06:46 AM
HEH ?????? tetrabits+metro with syringe to its mouth ???? sounds scary ....

Benny
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 06:56 AM
and how many miligrams per fish woud u give?
coz surely 200mg in a fish would kill it, or not do it much good @ all?

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 07:52 AM
maybe disolve 1 tablet in 1L water ?? or less ?

dreamer
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
of course without the needle !!!! get those little syringe from chemist cost about $0.50. i remember vaguely 1gr metro for 100gr food. crush tetrabit n metro and mix well and dilute some with water and yes ...inject slowly through the mouth! this way fish get both food n med

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:44 AM
how long should i do this dreamer ??
how often in one day ??
Thanks...

dreamer
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:50 AM
i did 3x a day for 3 days... start with a little (2-3ml food/med + 5ml water according the syringe) as you dont want to upset the empty stomach with food/med.

disclaimer. do it at your own risk ... like i said i might be lucky that my fish made it :)

DR.V
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 09:00 AM
hehe...i'll try with the cheaper strain first

ctvu
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 04:27 AM
Hi Dr V

Mine took almost 2 weeks to start picking food (BW only) now (3 weeks) she started picking colourbit but still hides in the corner thou. HTH

ctvu

DR.V
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 05:45 AM
Thanks for the info ctvu,
Im just afraid that the discus will die for not eating for so long :P Glad to hear they still survive after 3 weeks LOL

chris
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:09 AM
How many were or are you treating at the moment.
I had one pass away this week recovering from hex , in her final week she was with one other fish and not showing any signs of hex although she was pale and thin, but I feel she may have gone a bit better in a larger group :!:who knows :?:
I couldnt get her to eat.

DR.V
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:14 AM
I got four in one tank now.
One of them is getting very very very skinny now.
The other 3 just look slightly skinny. Two of them are white butterfly pair, and i dont wanna lose them !

ctvu
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 10:28 PM
Hi Dr V

Yesterday she started coming out but still very shy and stays in corner still, and she looks very very skinny compare to her partner and guess what they are a Whtie butterfly pair what a coincident!

ctvu

DR.V
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 05:20 AM
Hehe are u serious ??
So you've done one treatment only ??

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 06:35 AM
why do so many pplz fish have hex atm? is it sumthin in the water? hope i dont get it in my tank!

Benny
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 09:03 AM
all my discus had Hex, post treatment only my pearl pigeon has whitish poo's, yet they all eat healithily? Its very strange?! I gave them a feed of BH just then, and there was a mainly normal lookin poo 5 mins later from my pearl....

Go figure? but i think the fish is recovering :)

DR.V
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:18 PM
all 4 of mine start to eat tetra bits slowly....
YAY ...and the poos are red now

dreamer
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:28 PM
did you force feed them ?

chris
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:38 PM
Great work It must be a great feeling and a bit of a relief.
:wink: 8

DR.V
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 01:47 PM
i put a tablespoon of tetrabits into the tank, and i also turn off the filter so no food get sucked. I leave them off for one hour and come back with a few bits left.

ctvu
Thu Jun 16, 2005, 10:07 PM
DRV

that is great! phuu I like to hear that. Well done DR V
Oh yes only 1 treatment.

ctvu

weird
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 09:11 AM
That really good news mate, well done ... and a special discus jiggle all round =)

DR.V
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 12:58 PM
thanks for all the support guys

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 17, 2005, 02:16 PM
That's good news. Glad to hear they are eating again.