PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Advice

colinM
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 12:23 PM
:?: Hi All, Well, Plodding along with pairs spawning with no success, well I shouldnt say no success- Some eggs eaten, some wrigglers dying/dissapearing.
Some questions I hope you can help me with.

Lost wrigglers 2 days old from super red 13cm.
parameters= Tank 3 ft.
PH 7.2.
Temp 29.6.
Nitrate 5.0.
GH 4d (60ppm approx)
KH 4d (60ppm approx)
Filters 2 x large sponges tanks well cycled/matured.
Clean bottom tanks.
Water changes aerated for at least 24 hrs in holding tank (same temp as breeding tank).
Water change frequency 20-30% every 2 days.
Feeding frozen beefheart once per day.

Some further questions- have a breeding pair Red Scribbles 14cm, wrigglers 2 days old and seem to be caring for the young in a corner of the tank (same parameters as above) hope not to lose as well.
I leave a dimmer light on o/night.
Should I drop the water level to make it easier for the parents to manage.
Should I leave the lighting (fluro) on for a longer period (current 4 hrs evening).
P.S I have also covered the sponge filters with white filter floss to help wrigglers identify parents.
Fair Dinkum recently lost 80 wriggglers (powerhead had a small gap) in aqua 1, 3 ft O/head filtration.
Also been losing wrigglers due to I think daily water changes 20 %.
Currently have a pair of Golden sunrise thank God seem to be really good parents now 3 days old and swarming/feeding really well.

Sorry for such a long message, I will get some photos up this week.
Regards to all.
Colin M
P.S I use auqusafe 5ml per 20 ltrs water for water changes. :? :? :?

Merrilyn
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 12:56 PM
Hi Colin, well it seems you are having pretty fair success. I think a lot of your losses are due to immature parents. With the reds, are you seeing bodies of the fry, or do they just go missing. Missing fry are usually eaten :(

Your 20% water change is probably a bit much while the fry are so tiny. Cut it down to 10% daily and I usually wait till the fry are attached to the parents before starting any water changes.

I leave lights on all the time, when the parents have eggs or fry, for at least the first ten days to two weeks. I just leave the tank lights on all the time. You can use any kind of light, but it needs to be bright enough for the fry to find their parents.

Hope that helps.

Love to see pics when you have time.

colinM
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 01:05 PM
Once again thankyou,
Yes, finding some bodies, I guess result of reg water change.
Thanks again for the advice- Regards Col.