PDA

View Full Version : I have had a very bad day.

Katie
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 08:04 AM
Well guys guess what happened to me today? My tank exploded. Yep just as it sounds.Exploded. Cam home from shopping to find glass, fish and a hell of a lot of water on my lovely thick carpet. All my equipment was soaked in water, heaters (glass) smashed. I frantically tried to scoup up all my fish into a bucket, but the situation is bad. We were out of the house for quite some time so I have no idea how long they were on the carpet for. I don't know what to do now really. Kind of in shock have to try and find someone to rescue the carpet. Its been a bad day really.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 08:07 AM
geez that sux!!!!!! r the fish alright?

can you fill the bath tub (if you have 1) with any water you have and put a heater and filter in there? this will be sufficient for now until you can organise another tank

HTH

cheers and good luck :shock:

Benny
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 08:37 AM
omg thats terrible!!!

I hope your carpet survivies the journey, along with your poor fishies!

What size was your tank? Were the corners merely siliconed, or was there metal angle on the joints too?

Thats terrible,
Sincere regards,
Benny

Dave76
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 08:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your tank & fish Katie :'(

I hope you are able to save your fish.

Dave

Ben
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 09:17 AM
I am very sorry for what has happened katie, i hope that the fish will be ok and that you got to them in time.

Please let us know how you go,

Ben

kalebjarrod
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:27 PM
i had a turtle tank explode once

thats the last time i put tanks on the entertainment unit over my new T.V

i know the feeling, let us know how you go

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 10:48 PM
was it a plasma ryan?

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:22 AM
Poor Katie. I feel so sorry for you. How do things look this morning?

Some clean garbage bins with a heater and airstone in them will serve as temporary tanks till you get another one sorted, or even some of those large white plastic storage bins from the cheap shop work well.

So long as their gills were wet, they should survive. Add a little salt, 1 tablespoon to 40 litres of water to increase their slime coat and help them recover. Just keep them dark and allow them to recover for a couple of days before trying to feed them. Without a filter in those bins, you will need to do a daily water change to remove ammonia build up.

Your carpet should be covered by insurance, so don't worry too much. They can do wonders with soggy carpet these days. Or you can insist that it be replaced.

Before using any of that electrical equipment, make sure it is thoroughly dry, like let it dry for a week in a warm room. If in doubt, let it dry for another week.

We're all thinking of you.

ctvu
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 12:28 AM
How are your fisn now? hope they are fine.

Sorry to hear the disaster.

ctvu

Katie
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:31 AM
Hi guys,
Thanks everyone. Its been a tough few days I will tell you. BUT suprisingly none of my babies have died. My larger red pigeon looked in a bad way for the last couple of days, but today he seems much better. The first day after everyone was a bit shakey, and they all have abit of a slime coat still but I guess that is to be expected after lying on the soggy carpet for god only knows how long. I have put some salt in their water and upped the temp to 31 degress. Is there any other suggestions regarding their slime coats?
Once again thanks guys, it really helped to hear those kind words.

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:35 AM
good to hear k8ie!!!!! what have you kept them in?

Katie
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:45 AM
they are in one of my water aging barrels with an air stone and heater (it always pays to have a spare heater!)

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 01:49 AM
kool ;) glad they r ok :D

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 03:11 AM
Glad to hear they all made it. Just the little bit of salt is all I would do for now. That, and keeping up with daily water changes.

How are you going with the insurance company. Any dramas?

Katie
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 05:46 AM
Insurance company? Don't get me started on them! They will pay for most of the carpet and underlay but as for my aquarium equipment, they won't pay a cent! I would have thought that the majority of the electrical equipment would have come under general household insurence, but they have clearly stated that I will not be reimberesed for any of the heaters, cannister filters or the tank itself. Is it just me or does that seem odd to anyone else?
Had the LFS guy come around and have a look at my discus today. If I can't get a replacment tank made up soon, he has offered to house them for me in his shop (I think he wants to steal them!) Has offered me a number of consessions too when I finally get going on my display tank again.

kalebjarrod
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 08:00 AM
how many fish do you have and where do you live?

i might have a tank or two i can lend you for a few weeks :wink:

Dave76
Tue Jun 14, 2005, 10:05 AM
At least all your fish are ok Katie that's the main thing.

I queried my aquariums with my insurance company when I renewed the policy - I had to list all of the tanks / fish etc as a special schedule like jewelery - it might pay to check your policy statement & see there is any mention of it - it may be be the typical insurance company line trying to save a buck or two.

Dave

Katie
Wed Jun 15, 2005, 01:25 AM
Thanks for the offer Ryan, but its ok now. Russeled up a place for them. They are looking alot better today, not eating like they used to but are starting to look more interested in food.