PDA

View Full Version : uneaten food

tacks
Sun Apr 11, 2004, 02:24 AM
my new discus are just starting to eat how long should I let the food remain thanks tacks happy Easter to all down under

Proteus
Sun Apr 11, 2004, 05:23 AM
If we are talking about foods such as Beefheart etc, I would be sucking up leftovers 5-10 minutes after they have shown no more interest

The tank that I have a pair in, I will suck up any leftovers after say 15-20 mins.

On the tank with 14 Discus of all different sizes, I just do my vac at a set time each day (usually in the afternnon) and any food that remains after feeding can stay there, as there may have been 1-2 little buddies that didnt get there share first up, so they can have first dibs at the scraps.

:wink:

jluna
Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:39 PM
i never suck up leftovers, for two reasons:

i feed frequently and sparingly, so there is rarely anything left over, and
i have rummynoses who eat anything small that floats away, and bristlenoses who eat anything left on the ground.

could be worth buying a cleaning crew to do the work for you... of course i still have to vacuum up all the waste!! the joys of being a fish-geek...

justin

Mattzilla
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 09:41 AM
i also feed in small frequent amounts so that there are no leftovers. i know how much my fish can eat at one time so that i don't over feed and polute the water.

as jluna said, i have some rummy nose and bristle nose cats to help clean up the small scraps. i know that corys are excellent cleaners and are discus friendly

hth
,matt

Mel
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 12:12 PM
Yep totally agree, i have a shoal of lemon tetras and some cory strebai and theres never any left over food.I was also at an auction and have picked up some tiny baby apisto morado which i will grow on a bit before they hit the tank with the big boys!!!

Mel