PDA

View Full Version : Finally got it right

Kaza
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 08:55 PM
My GSS have maybe had at least 20 attempts at breeding, first they ate the eggs at least 8 times, then they would eat the wrigglers and finally I got them to free swimming but the parents wouldnt let them eat from their sides and the next day they would all be gone. I did notice them spending alot of time displaying to the pair in the next tank so I put a divider down the middle so they couldnt see each other. However they still spend a lot of time trying to look etc.

Anyway finally I had enough of them eating fry. I put them in a tank that is at ground level, usually a grow out tank, as I like breeding pairs higher up. I paid no attention to them thinking I would sell them to someone interested in pets not breeding. Well I ve been busy with uni lately, exams are next week and I also have other fry to keep me busy. I noticed that they had eggs again and thoough here we go again, well yesterday I went to do WC and I though they were acting strange both hanging in one corner very close together. When I had a closer look, b***** me they had fry all over their backs and a whole lot in the corner they were mouthing ect. I just couldnt beleive it after all this time. They must have hated been next to other fish and so ate the fry. Porblem is my tanks are set up in a bank at the moment there is no one next to them but I will need that tank shortly.

Now I need some of my adults to stop breeding as I need more tanks for fry? What a terrible problem :lol:

Dave76
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 01:22 AM
Congrats Kaza

It is a nice problem to be having I think, not a terible one :D

Dave

Merrilyn
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 04:55 AM
Karen, that is terrific. What a wonderful story.

Good luck with all those babies. :wave2

leanne31
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 07:49 AM
I'll come round next week Karen and take some pics for you if you want are they still all ok and not eaten yet soon you'll have to buy some more tanks to accomadate all those babies you have everywhere.

Leanne

DR.V
Sat Jun 11, 2005, 07:52 AM
another success story ...
Pleasant to hear Kaza !!

Kaza
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 06:52 AM
Thanks everyone, it does make all the water changes and work seem worth it. What I have noticed with these babies is their growth is very slow compared to other babies from other pairs. Is it that the very pale discus dont produce much slime? any way to day they are 4 days free swimming but I would say only the size of 2 day old fry.

Leanne it would be great if you could take some photos, and why dont you take some babies you can take some of the 3 month old ones or I think the 4 weeks old ones should be fine (seeing as you are experienced).

One last thing I would like to tell you all, my ugly duckling story, when I had fry four weeks ago, my golden snakeskins had fry the same time, so I took them out and gave them to the other pair who had fry three days older, unfortuantely the parents noticed the difference and ate all of the fry except their own and one very lucky golden snakeskin. Now four weeks lately he sticks out amongest all the bronze, barred turks. A cute little white fish with pink fins.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 07:00 AM
kool kaza cant wait to c pics!!! :D

colinM
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 08:03 AM
Great News Kaza, looks like a reward for hard work, should be fun watching the growth- Congrats ColinM. :D :D :D

leanne31
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 10:37 AM
Ok I'll come round and take pics next week let me know the days you will be home Im going to a bbq tomorrow so it cant be then and all the kids are home on friday so it will have to be tue,wed, or thur let me know.

Leanne

Kaza
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 01:04 PM
Thanks colin, I love watching them grow, Iam watching a whole bunch of the little critters as I type, very cute. Trouble is I am running out of tanks soon I will have to break this bunch down into a couple of groups and then I will have no spare tanks left. I can see how this hobby becomes addictive.
Hey Mr pink lemonade, I read your post about me not giving Leanne any fish, do you think I am stupid I am going away for three weeks over christmas guess who is looking after them. Auntie Leanne!

Leanne I am at uni most of the week its exam time, but I should be home on Thursday, just dont talk to me I am way too stressed.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 10:20 PM
no ur not stoopid :roll: haha and i was kiddin :) and leanne deserves to get paid... go auntie leanne!

Kaza
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 10:31 PM
OK I have a problem, some time last night the parents laid again on the back wall of the tank. They still have the first babies, what should I do destroy the eggs or take the first babies out??? They are only 5 days today but small.

Merrilyn
Sun Jun 12, 2005, 11:37 PM
Darn, they don't want to make it easy, do they.

Well we need to give them as long as possible with the parents, so start them on baby brine shrimp straight away. The eggs will take another two days to hatch, and then another couple for the fry to become free swimming, by which time this batch should be eating well.

Now the problem will be, if they start to resent the fry while they are attending to the eggs. Then you will have no choice but to remove the fry immediatley.

With two batches on the go, they must be trying to make up for lost time :roll:

Good luck.

Trebs
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:07 AM
Just back to your earlier question, in my experience the lighter coloured fish produce slime the same as any other. The early size difference is most likely down to the fry taking longer to find the parents. You should find after 2-3 weeks the there is no longer a size difference (given everything else is equal).

Kaza
Mon Jun 13, 2005, 10:44 AM
Thanks Ladyred and Trebs, well so far so good, one parent looks after the fry whilst the other fans the eggs, the babies do appear to have grown from when I saw them first thing this morning and then again tonight. So I think you are right Trebs as I have noticed they did do a fair amount of exploring by them selves, where as with my other pair the babies free swim straight onto the parents and seem to stay there.

Will the parents look after 2 different aged fry? Otherwise I could move them in with four week old fry but of course there will be a bit of a size difference? I really need more tanks or I will have to get rid of some older fry.