PDA

View Full Version : DIY CO2 Diffuser !!

DR.V
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 02:58 PM
Hi all , I want to make a DIY co2 again, and this time I dont want to use an air stone as diffuser as it often get slimy, and i hate that.
Could anyone share with me, how they did theirs ? I heard some people can use ceramic rings, and other things better than air stone.

I dont want to search thru the net, coz i trust most member here more about their testimonial.

Thanks all ^^

NanoPlantedMan
Thu Jun 09, 2005, 11:55 PM
just run the co2 into a powerhead dude. Whether co2 diffusers are better than this im not sure. But a guy with a very successful planted tank uses the powerhead method.

anti-generic
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 01:28 AM
im thinking about stabbing the CO2 air tube directly into the filter outflow.

in theory it makes sense. making the CO2 run through the course of the outflow pipe making it bounce around abit before going into the tank.

though this is still in the conceptual stage. i'll tell you guys how it goes when i try it out.

cheers,
Eric

DR.V
Fri Jun 10, 2005, 06:11 AM
i tried using powerhead but sometimes the yeast in the bottle get sucked into the water and mess the water up. Also , I cant adjust the amouth of CO2 being released into the water.

I saw people using like a gravel vac , and inside the vac, there were bio balls ???? Anyone use this thing ??

Benny
Sun Jul 03, 2005, 02:33 PM
i just built a DIY CO2 reactor with the afforementioned method (syphon with bioballs) etc...

It seems to be working effectively.. i only put it on my main tank today, so i cant report any gains as yet....

Will keep you guys posted (if theres an interest) and can post pics too

Regards
Benny

Del
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 01:28 AM
I would be interested Benny, thanks.

kalebjarrod
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 04:39 AM
buy an otto 800lt per hour power head

and a standard gravel vac

the end of the powerhead and the otto fit the same size tube (13mm) you just need a 90degree elbow from your local bunnings ($0.90)

then drill a small hole in the top of the gravel vac, insert your co2 tube there, that will stop yeast backflows

the 800lt otto has the exact power to run the diffsuser properly, you just need to add 4 large bio balls to the gravel vac and glue the last one in

works perfect :wink:

any bigger than an 800lt and the piping won't fit

(the only time you may have a probelm is in the start of the co2 cycle when the reactor lets off excess co2, the diffuser won't quite keep up, just turn of the diffsuer for one minuate to let the excess co2 get away)

Benny
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 05:47 AM
Mines runnin off a 420L/h canister outlet atm...

canister is actually in desperate need of a clean...

so probably flowing a bit less...

But there is excelent mixing of co2 with water in my reactor im happy... just gotta stop algae and snails eating my plants :'(

Mattzilla
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 06:17 AM
good article

http://www.qsl.net/w2wdx/aquaria/diyco2.html

hth
matt

DR.V
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 01:00 PM
thanks matt

kazkirk
Mon Jul 04, 2005, 03:47 PM
Ill post pics of mine as soon as my camera batteries recharge :)

Benny
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 08:57 AM
hey guys with ur CO2 systems, do you get a little foam of bubbles on the surface of your water???

Im getting some bubbles forming in my diffuser too....

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:25 AM
yeah i get that benny

little baby frothy sort of bubbles

thats good, that means that the water is breaking those co2 bubbles down as much as possible :wink:

Benny
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:33 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeet :)

does your gas (CO2) smell distinctly like yeast also?

Mattzilla
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:53 AM
i made some diy co2 bottles yesterday and one of them is already pumping out heaps of co2 bubbles!!!!

didn't take as long as i expected

awesome!!!

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 09:59 AM
and if you do it right they work for weeks :wink:

Mattzilla
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:04 AM
cool

my mix was i.5 cups of water, 1 cup white sugar and one sachet (about 1 teaspoon) of dry yeast in a 1.25 ltr bottle

what are some other recipes that people here have or do use??? and why did you choose that recipe?

thanks guys

kalebjarrod
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 10:25 AM
2 cups of sugar, one teaspoon of yeast, one teaspoon of bicarb, 1.25lt soft drink bottle

2 cup of sugar in the bottle, half fill with HOT (not boiling) water, make sugar into syrup in bottom of bottle by swirling

fill bootle to 5 cm from top with COLD water

this should be about the right temp

add yeast and bicarb

sit in sink till it finishes frothing

i have found by letting the mix froth over in the sink, i don't need a 1.25lt container between the diy reactor and the tank in case of frothing spilages, and by filling the containers up more it presurizes quicker and lasts longer

I DO NOT SUGGEST MY METHOD FOR A BEGINNER, take it easy and have a near empty 1.25lt bottle between your co2 and your fish till you are confident in your mixture's etc

also matt

buy the container of yeast from wollies or safeway, $1.00 more and has about 50 times as much in it than satchels :wink:

jwight
Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:54 PM
Do you add the yeast after water. Is this the normal way? I dont do it that way. Does anybody have a mixture for 2lt bottles?

kalebjarrod
Wed Jul 06, 2005, 09:09 AM
that way you don't kill the yeast by adding it to hot water

and you need the water hot to dissolve the sugar

just a process thing

dcarmau
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 11:56 AM
if you add the yeast to a bit of lukewarm water with a dash of sugar first (give it a good stir, it should look like brown liquid really), then deal with the rest of the sugar, you might find it works better, yeast takes a few minutes to activate, and the good stir helps it activate the best.

How long would you say your recipe lasts Ryan?

kalebjarrod
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 08:12 PM
mine normally lasts for about one week at a great rate

the second week is much weaker :wink:

norto
Wed Jun 21, 2006, 09:41 PM
I don't want to sound too stupid here but can you tell me the benefits of a CO2 system.
Thanks,
Norto.

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 01:44 AM
All plants terrestial and aquatic absorb Co2 and expel O2 { oxygen} as part of the growing cycle, this makes them grow lush and green.....at night the reverse happens.

I have tried a few mix ratios, and through experimenting have found that bigger sugar mixes dont necesarily produce more Co2 ?

I just do the standard 2 cups raw or cane sugar..... to 4 cups tepid dechlorinated water ......to 1/4 teaspoon yeast and 1/4 teaspoon carb soda, this lasts up to 4 weeks and takes about 4 hours to really get going. I replace the mix every two weeks rather than take a chance on it running out, but it will last 4 weeks depending on temperature. I find in the morning very little Co2 is pushed into the reactor, temperature related I think ?.......but by noon it is pouring out to the point that every now and then the reactor over loads with gas and it expels in large bubbles from the reator base.

I find a single bottle mix like this is ideal for up to 150 litres of water, I have a double mix on my 6 foot tank, but it could do with one more. I have found this cheap system so effective, all my plants in every tank are booming :P

I use the standard set up of a generator, 3 litres is best........a small soda bottle diffuser between the generator and the internal reactor.....my reactor has a small 200lph pump mounted on top that goes on and off with my lights for when the Co2 is not needed. The only real difference in my DIY set up is I use a garden sprayer bottle for my generator, as it's cheap, leakproof, with a built in pressure relief valve, strong construction, easy to assemble and a pump handle that can be used to dose a little more gas every now and then, kick start it in the morning or clear the tubing from time to time. 8-)

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:06 AM
nice idea

i like the generator

very inventive

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 07:33 AM
Thanx face from the avatar :lol: .......I love this type of generator, I had the standard soda bottles before, but found they eventually leaked and went a bit brittle........the one in the pic cost me $12 from Big W and the tubing on the unit just by chance is the perfect size for a standard 6mm tube to slip into it's end nice and snug

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 09:58 AM
do you mind if i steal the idea?

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:39 AM
Go for it mate, I've been trying to promote the idea for ages. It is really good and so simple, only thing to remember is to remove the internal tube that goes from the tubing connector into the bottom of the spray unit, to leave this in would cause it to spray yeast mix into your tank or diffuser...................not a good look.

Think I have some more pix to show you, you absolutely MUST remove the internal tube before use, it's sort of shown in this picture with a line drawing

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:44 AM
I've tried a few size spray units now, and either the 5 litre or 3 litre unit is best, and I just use the old style reactor with either an old gravel vac unit or similar tubular gizmo, even an old rain guage ?........my reactor has a small pump mounted on top to diffuse the Co2 and is plugged into my light timer to go off with the lights.

Phlipper
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 11:47 AM
Oh yeah, just remembered, I use the standard 6mm black irrigation tubing from Bunnings for my connections, the very supple one is best, I have been using it now for 6 months now with no signs of it going brittle...........and it's cheap. :P

kalebjarrod
Thu Jun 22, 2006, 08:14 PM
i think i will hook mine up through a in-line diffuser

should work well, fit right into my plans

thnaks :wink: