PDA

View Full Version : HELP

dukequar
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:08 PM
I just treated two discus with prazi for suspected gill flukes. This was there second treatment, the first was a week ago. One of them still had symptoms so I treated them both again tonight. Only this time I added two 100 mg tablets to a 10L water bath. They were in there for aprox. 4 hours. The temperature dropped about 2 or 3 degrees. I filled the bucket back up with there tank water and then set them free in the tank. One of them was fine, however the other is not in good shape. She originally just sat in the one spot not moving. Her breathing is alternating between being really fast and really slow one breath every two seconds. She is now lying horizontal on the bottom. Does anyone have anyidea what I might be able to do to help or explain what might have gone wrong.

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:41 PM
Did you have an air hose in the bucket.

Four hours is a very long time for a med bath.

May I ask where you got those instructions from?

200 mg in 10 litres is pretty strong.

We usually recommend that for around 40 litres.

I would say the fish is pretty stressed by the bath, and you may have some burning of the gills. All you can do is make sure the tank water stays absolutely clean, and you have sufficient oxygen in there.

dukequar
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 03:00 AM
Thanks for the reply. After I wrote the original message things got worse and I was sure that I had lost her, but then over a period of half an hour she made a full recovery. The strange thing was she became super aggressive. She chased her larger long time partner continuously around the tank. They are the only two in the tank and he had no idea what was going on. Luckily everything was back to normal this morning. All their gill fluke symptoms seemed to have disappeared for the time being, but I wont ever try that high a dose again.
There was a air stone in the bucket the whole time. I got the instructions from a discus book at the LFS (cant remember author), it said three hours in 100mg per 10L. The last hour was gradually bringing their temp back to the same as their tank. I then also read somewhere on the internet that prazi has a high therapeutic range, so I thought I could double the dosage and see what happened. BAD IDEA. This time it looks like I was lucky.

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 03:10 AM
We all learn by our mistakes. Glad to hear all is well now.

Keep us posted :P

jim from sydney
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 06:20 AM
Duke......good to hear that all is well again......record your observations for the future it is good value to do that...right now that may seem pointless however if something similar happens in the future (and God forbid that Ladyred is away on a well deserved holiday or something) you will then realise how important record keeping is. :idea: :idea: :idea: .....well done....Jim