PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tank New measures

chris
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:21 AM
Hi all again, Im taking your advice Im going to fire up my three foot Hex tank. Holds about 180litres. Bare bottom.
Should I blank off the sides :?:
Cycling the tank I have a Fluval 204 working for about 6 months in my community tank along with an otto 450g.
Ill take the fluval out put some sponge on the intake :?:
Do a water change from community tank say use half of old water the rest aged water add a few golfish :?:
How long would it be before I could add the pair :?:

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:31 AM
have you got a cycled sponge? if so and you can afford to move it then put 1/4 of the tank water it was from in your new tank and put the sponge in and it will be ready straight away. then just put 10% new water in everyday to get the water level up and put fish in. if the water level is high enough from the start then put your pair in whenever you want and just keep adding more water each day.

canister filters are no good in breeding tanks even with the intake pre filtered they are just too strong.

if need be just cycle a new sponge filter. it will take under 2 weeks if done correctly

chris
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 05:34 AM
The only sponge Ive got is in the canister.
Looks like my plan is foiled. :twisted:

leanne31
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:32 AM
Nah Chris its not foiled thats all that Karen uses in her breeding tanks is a canister filter with filter floss stuff over the intake and shes had no problems at all give it a go you'll be fine.

Leanne

chris
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 10:55 AM
Hey Leanne whats this filter floss stuff your talking about :!:
I heard someone talking about buy some sponge stuff from clark rubber.

leanne31
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:00 AM
Maybe if Karen sees this post she can answer that if not I'll go around and ask her about it its time I checked up on all her babes anyway.

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:03 AM
lol how r the babies leanne?

Ben
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:05 AM
Should I blank off the sides.

I HAVE PAINTED THE 3 SIDES ON ALL MY TANKS, HELPS THE FISH TO BE SETTLED.

Do a water change from community tank say use half of old water the rest aged water add a few golfish

DONT USE GOLDFISH AS YOU WANT THE WATER TO BE WARM SO THERE IS THE RIGHT SORT OF BACTERIA IN/ON THE FILTER.

How long would it be before I could add the pair

IN THEORY 2 WEEKS, BUT IF CAN DO %20 DAILLY WATER CHANGES YOU WILL GET AWAY WITH IT SOONER.

HTH,

Ben

leanne31
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:10 AM
they're going very well thanks for asking David her original ones that are a couple of months old would have to be getting close to around 7cm if not bigger but i think shes having trouble parting with them as they were her first little bunch shes also got another lot going which are about 3 weeks old I think and another 2 pairs that are trying so it looks like Im gonna be fully stoked soon. :lol: :lol:

Leanne

chris
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 11:44 AM
Cheers for the advice Ben,
Are you saying dont do a part old water from other tank part new aged water :?: :?:
I could do this with goldfish in heated water of course :!:

leanne31
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:02 PM
If your've got a complete cycled filter and your going to put the whole thing in your breeding tank if you fill the tank with half your tank water and half aged water I cant see why you cant use the tank straight away add a couple of handfuls of gravel just in a corner for now as well, there should be plenty of bacteria to be able to add fish straight away.

Leanne

Ben
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:15 PM
Do the change with old water but use some of the aged water aswell.

You could use goldfish in the tank if you have some handy.
I have found the *KEY* is all about water changes.

HTH Chris

Ben

Merrilyn
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 12:38 PM
Hi all again, Im taking your advice Im going to fire up my three foot Hex tank. Holds about 180litres. Bare bottom.
Should I blank off the sides :?:
Cycling the tank I have a Fluval 204 working for about 6 months in my community tank along with an otto 450g.
Ill take the fluval out put some sponge on the intake :?:
Do a water change from community tank say use half of old water the rest aged water add a few golfish :?:
How long would it be before I could add the pair :?:

Hi Chris, your plan is correct.

Just forget the goldfish, and add the pair. They will be fine.

premier
Tue Jun 07, 2005, 01:39 PM
ive found as a prefilter material "wadding" from spotlight is good, quite cheap and available off the roll or precut in a pack. works well as filter wool too, just give it a quick rinse first it's the same stuff you buy at lfs only it's a third the price.\

chris
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the responses everyone.
Merrilyn do you think a Fluval 204 would be to powerfull for babies(fry).
I was going to put some sponge on the intake :?:

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 01:19 AM
lol leanne she wont give them to u ibet ;)

leanne31
Wed Jun 08, 2005, 01:43 AM
She'll have to eventually as shes getting close to a couple of hundred now and she doesnt have the tank space. :lol:

Leanne