PDA

View Full Version : Painting Tanks..

flukes
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 01:51 AM
I was wondering what is a better color to paint a tank for discus with, a lighter or darker color. The reason i ask was when i first got my discus i was told the darker the background the more the color stands out, so i put black contact on all but the front side. It seemed to work well and it does highlight the fish color. Now i been seeing alot more other people's tanks ive notcied alot of breeders and hobbyists have their tanks painted that light blue. I was just wondering what people think.

Not a big drama just got me wondering..

Scott

Proteus
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 04:15 AM
I have heard lighter is better...

but each to there own.

flukes
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 04:36 AM
Well ive tried the black, i think it went ok i dont hear them complaing :D
Ill go for the light blue this time. But i was wondering if i could get a paint that it waterproof as i want to pant the side of a internal filter so you cant see it and wondering if it will leak into the water?

I think i am getting ahead of myself the tanks are not even made yet.!!
Still trying to work out filtration.

Scott

Chris McMahon
Sun Apr 11, 2004, 11:09 AM
I just finished painting my 5x2x2 matt black - back and two sides - about a week ago. I used 2/3rds of a tin of KillRust 500ml Matt Black. That gave 3 coats and it looks great. I used a sponge roller and a fine brush for the edges. Even the direct QLD sun can't get through it.

Mattzilla
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 09:38 AM
i used to have a tank with a black background but found that my discus shown darker colours and my pb's shown tonnes of peppering....
i got rid of that tank and got a new one. painted the back with high gloss enamel 'sky blue' paint. it looks awesome and my discus now show bright colours and almost no peppering on my pb's.

i would definately go for the light blue colour....

as for painting your filter bits...i don't think that is a good idea. the paint will most probably leach into the water..

there may be some sort of silicon based paints i guess that would be ok...but i know i wouldn't risk losing my fish over filter tubes...

hth

matt

flukes
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 10:45 AM
high gloss enamel 'sky blue' paint
Bunnings?? was it spray can or in a tin.

Ive seen a few people on simply using that sand grain effect, it comes in a spray can but its like $12 a can and iam sure you would need 2-3 cans each tank.

Cheers

Mattzilla
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 11:45 AM
i got a sample pot of the sky blue high gloss enamel and did three coats with a roller. one coat each day for three days

cost bugger all. one tip, buy three rollers.... it was such a pain in the ass to try to clean it each day...not worth the bother.

you can buy small rollers with multiple spare rollers very cheap. you don't need to buy the expensive ones.

hth
matt

Chris McMahon
Mon Apr 12, 2004, 12:33 PM
one tip, buy three rollers.... it was such a pain in the ass to try to clean it each day...not worth the bother.Simply put the roller and tray in an air tight plastic bag. It'll last up to 24 hours without drying. You can get small sponge rollers with drip trays for around $2 from Bunnings. They are called "sample pot" rollers. About 3" across.

Lily
Fri Apr 16, 2004, 11:35 PM
What about painting the tank back dark green? Anyone ever tried this?

L

kevkoi
Sat Apr 17, 2004, 01:58 AM
My breeder in Penang informs me that painting the tank background darker shades tends to cause dusting in pigeon blood strain fish. :? He uses a light milky blue painted background like this...

flukes
Sat Apr 17, 2004, 07:23 AM
yeah ive heard about the peppering with pb's, and now you's have meantioned it that pearl pb i got of Kev has peppered alot more since being in the black background tank. Ah well got the new tank day nights ago but ive been too busy cleaning them. They are filthy.

sunshinediscus
Sun Apr 18, 2004, 10:52 AM
I like darker shades for highlighting the colors of discus, though like others have stated it can make pb discus appear dirty. But a top quality pb, with no dust or very little dust, contrasts superbly witha dark background and looks very special indeed.

Kev, i don't agree the dark background causes dust like your contact says, imo it just highlights any dust the discus carries and means it is low grade.

I buy my paint ina spray can, 1 tin is enough to paint the back and sides of 2 x 4 foot tanks.

SD

Proteus
Sun Apr 18, 2004, 11:11 AM
I am going to try and find the article I read once... but it gives details and results of a controlled experiment where it was proven darker backgrounds/substrate, etc, greatly increase the peppering affect on PB's, Marlboros, and I cant recall the other test variety used.

Fish were in equal sized tanks, using a common filtration device (so as water paremeters were identical), identical water change regime and the fish were from the same batch (ensuring they all had the same traits).

The results were very interesting, as the peppering was something like 60% more visible on the darker tanks... many other articles have been written stating the same case.

At the end of the day, you do what is right for you. If you dont want, or want to minimise peppering then I would strongly recommend a light coloured background, but, if this is not a concern, or the fish in question do not suffer from peppering, then Pink with Purple spots may work... although somewhat scary... lol

flukes
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 05:38 AM
you think i could reverse the peppering? because he seems to be fairly bad now. If i put a orange background maybe he will turn orange, like he should be. Still no signs of patterns on the little SOB yet.
Scorpion snakeskin has to be my favourate, that is a champion fish i got from you Kev, so proud, fins are never down and stress bars are hardly ever seen.

Proteus
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 06:43 AM
Peppering is partly genetic, and some part environmental/physiological.

Sadly though, I have not heard of it being reversed, although I may be wrong...

Orange background OMG too scary to imagine :wink:

Mattzilla
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 07:02 AM
i found that over time the amount of peppering on my marlbros decreased once placed in a tank with a light blue background. they came from a tank that had a black background.

but i have also heard that as some marlbros and pb's grow, they can lose some of their peppering naturally.

could have been a combination of both

matt

chrissyoscar
Wed May 05, 2004, 11:18 PM
:D Great site.
Ok I still have a lot to learn about keeping discus.
Can anybody please tell me why we paint the tanks. Is it purely cosmetic or is it done for the Discus. Also I've heard some people paint the bottom of the tank. Is it needed and if so what colors are best?
I have a pair in a bare bottom breeding tank but haven't painted any of the tank yet. I also plan to get a 4ft bare bottom set up in 3-4 mths time. I'll paint the sides and back and any info about whether to paint the bottom or not will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.. Oscar

flukes
Thu May 06, 2004, 12:12 PM
For me it was -
Sunlight = Algea, Paint = - Sunlight.
easy!!
Also looks better than whatever is behind the tank. Unless you live on the brazil, :lol:

chrissyoscar
Thu May 06, 2004, 10:04 PM
Ok so it sounds like it done for both looks and algea control in your case flukes.
I think I'll also paint mine but just the back and sides. As they're in the garage the tanks will look nicer.
I won't worry about painting the bottom at this stage unless someone tells tell otherwise.
I once read that sometimes discus have trouble picking up food of the bottom if the tank hasn't been painted. Mine seen to find the food without any problems and as it's on a foam base it's easy to see and clean the mess.

Thanks.. Oscar

flukes
Fri May 07, 2004, 05:16 AM
Well you shoud have foam underneath so it should be white which should make it easier for the fish too find. (Alot of should's) I painted mine with that stone effect which looks good but i dont think id do it too all my tanks at $20 a can and 1 can does 1 4ft base.

chrissyoscar
Fri May 07, 2004, 06:35 AM
I've just been to Bunnings looking at what's available.
I was told that most paints wont stick to glass and that I have to wipe the tank with a special liquid first then add undercoat then the paint.
Sound confusing and I got the impression it's all a load of you know what.
What did you guys use to paint your tanks and will normal enamel gloss paint be okay.
The guy told me it wont stick and it'll scratch of easy unless I used this special bonding liquid on the glass first.
What do you think!
I'm sure some of you have painted tanks for years now so you might be able to help.

Thanks.. Oscar

Chris McMahon
Fri May 07, 2004, 11:00 AM
I got told the "undercoat" thing too. But think about it. You're painting the outside of the glass and looking at it from the inside. What will you see? Yep - the undercoat.

I used KillRust. It sticks to anything and it's an all-in-one paint including "undercoat". A 500ml pot is enough for a 6x2x2 tank with 3 thick coats. Around $20 or so.

Get a $2 "sample pot" foam roller and tray while you're there and put it in a plastic bag between coats. Throw it out when your finished. Use turps to clean up.

nornicle
Fri May 07, 2004, 01:12 PM
actually the glass undercoat is like a 'wipe off' clear liquid...

so you do 'undercoat' but you just dont see it!!

i myself have never used an undercoat, and i just slop it on with a brush (i use acrylic paint)

Chris McMahon
Fri May 07, 2004, 01:32 PM
actually the glass undercoat is like a 'wipe off' clear liquid...

... I have to wipe the tank with a special liquid first then add undercoat then the paint...

chrissyoscar
Fri May 07, 2004, 11:04 PM
Thanks for your help Chris and Nornicle.
I think I'll use the bonding liquid then paint.
The guy told me that the liquid makes paint stick to glass so if that's the case there shouldn't be a need for undercoat like he said.
The liquid is about $14 and that should do quite a few tanks. As for the paint sample pots are cheap and a couple should be enough to do a 48" and 30" tank.
Thanks. Oscar
:P

DiscusMad
Fri May 14, 2004, 02:15 PM
I have tin foil scrunched shiny side to the tank which makes the tank deeper than what it is and it doesen't seem to bother the fish