PDA

View Full Version : Breeding Tanks

chris
Sat Jun 04, 2005, 11:32 AM
Hello out there im nearly ready to set up my first breeding tank.
Ive got a air pump filter 2 foot 90l tank.
Im not sure If I wont to use a gravel bottom,
At the moment there used to gravel.
I need to put a light on top not sure I, might use a lamp :?:
Oh and Ive got a breeding cone but, In my other Tank they spawn on an Amozon sword.

goldenpigeon
Sat Jun 04, 2005, 12:28 PM
just go bare bottom. gravel will just be a neusance after a while because you have to do so many w/c's. also if the fry fall into the gravel they will die.

DR.V
Sat Jun 04, 2005, 02:06 PM
thats true, with bare bottom you can ensure that when u syphon the tank, all the poo get sucked.

chris
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 01:39 AM
wot about lighting :?:
I was thinking of using a lamp for after 9pm till morning then using tank lamp from 10am till 9pm at night to give parents some peace.

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 02:15 AM
yes that will be fine but there must be enough light for the fry to see

leanne31
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 03:32 AM
Your light situation will be ok Chris but seriously if you want to breed you will have to go bb as when the fry hatch they can fall to the bottom of the tank and thats where the parents will pick them up in there mouth and put them back on the cone if you have gravel they will die as the parents wont be able to see them. Good luck and let me know how you go. :lol:

Leanne

goldenpigeon
Sun Jun 05, 2005, 03:45 AM
my breeding tank is a bb. if fry fall on the floor and the parents acidentally miss them they just develope down there and become free-swimming :D but if there is gravel they seem to get trapped and die?