PDA

View Full Version : What brand Cannister filter for biological filtration?

texasborn
Fri Apr 09, 2004, 09:05 PM
Its for a 125 which will eventually hold 8 discuss. So I need to also know what size. thank you :shock:

Proteus
Fri Apr 09, 2004, 09:29 PM
You open up a can of worms with this...

A large EHeim would be perfect, but you will be payng for it, whereas I have never had a problem with my Via-Aqua 750.

You could get 2-3 Via-Aqua's for the same price as one EHeim...

I am sure there will be plenty of other suggestions, Fluvals are meant to be ok (havent used one myself) and I have just put into operation a Sacem Marathon 1500 and it is doing a great job...

luvfishies
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 02:36 AM
tex, if they are the new Fluvals, they are great.

I don't know what is available to you, but seriously consider the Filstar XP3. Easy to maintain, and totally customisable media trays.

texasborn
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 04:46 AM
Im thinking of the Fluval cause its available and I have 20% off coupon for a lfs. What size? The 404 will work, no? I just need it for biological so what do I put in it?

flukes
Sat Apr 10, 2004, 07:51 AM
404 its for up to 400ltrs i believe, if your only after biological filtration stick to bio balls and ceramic noodles. I would be putting a sponge in there at the start because its highly likely that there will be some waste and other dirt etc that will get sucked into the filter and its easier to clean a sponge than the bio balls, without loosing the bacteria.

HTH
Scott

Lily
Fri Apr 16, 2004, 11:39 PM
I've always used a fluval with no problems. They are a bit tricky to take apart to clean but I can't say if that's different from an Eheim, as I've never used one. Anyway, I have a husband for just that purpose - making sure seals go back in the right places and removing lids I can't budge :)

flukes
Sat Apr 17, 2004, 07:20 AM
oh talking about seals, the bloody O-Ring on a Ehiem 2213 are the most annoying things man ever made. I think the professional range of Ehiems are alot easier to clean, and i thought the new fluvals were as well, i dont own one but my mates got the 404 and it seems easy enough.

sunshinediscus
Sun Apr 18, 2004, 11:06 AM
I've used the fluvals and Sacems and like both. On a 125gal i'd go for the fluval 404. To decrease maintenence remove the strainer on the intake pipe and modify so that a sponge can be fitted and cleaned reg. That way you don't need to pull the filter down all the time to clean out the gunk. A hagen quick filter with a fluval 3 sponge should do the trick for the prefilter.

pyro
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 05:27 AM
I am currently using fluval and 2 via aqua cannister filters and have found the via aquas to be the equal of the fluval, at a cheaper cost. Meaning more money for fish :D :D :D

flukes
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 05:43 AM
when i was looking at the via aqua the highest lph was only like 1200lph which is aint that good for the highest model. I think the Fluval is 1800lph or maybe 1600lph cant remember.

sunshinediscus
Mon Apr 19, 2004, 08:16 PM
fluval is only 1200 lph from memory, but that is adequate imo. Cannister filters due to the large media area, and the efficiancy that brings in biological fitering ,do not need a huge turnover rate.

texasborn
Thu May 20, 2004, 01:19 AM
or a eheim wet/dry with efisubstrate? From my research this seems the best for biological colinazation, what do you guys think? :arrow:

Proteus
Thu May 20, 2004, 01:24 AM
Eheim... certainly..

the only down side... they arent cheap down here.

(you can sometimes buy 2-3 good "other brand" canisters for the same price as one Eheim wet/dry)

Hawque
Thu May 20, 2004, 04:47 AM
I like the Fluvals...

I have been using a the Fluval 404 on my 150g tank for over fifteen years and never had any problems. In fact the first fluval lasted 14 years before it finally kicked the bucket... :(

Last year I added a small power head as well, but that was for the american cichlids since they are so dirty. Probably don't need it now, but I still run it to maily pick up any larger bits and bobs.

flukes
Thu May 20, 2004, 08:12 AM
If your just after biological then wet/dry is the way to go, becausee the bacteria is more productive in a highly aerated space. Does it have to be a cannister filter?? Id be making a huge bio-tower connected to a sump and then just get a nice big pump that will do you tank capacity about 4-5times an hour. This will be your biggest cost but it will be alot cheaper than an ehiem cannister filter and alot more effective. Just fill your bio tower with the right amount of bio balls and then use barbeque coals too do the rest. You should have plenty of room. (make sure you research what coals to use, I looked it up a while a go but forgot.) Anyway there are plenty designs on the net, but it the end you can make it how you want to suit your tank. When we put one together for a mate we had a 4000lph pump for a 4ft but with the head hight it probably would have been 2000lph and there was 3 times as much media used as we needed. Big overkill but it cant hurt.

Mattzilla
Thu May 20, 2004, 01:44 PM
i'm definately no pro on the matter...

personally i have a via aqua 750 on my 2ooltr tank. it has a pre filter in the intake (which is unbelievable important) and has noodles, bi balls and filter wool in it. i also have in the same tank a duel sponge filter.

it works for me...

the most important thing about a canister filter is the pre filter sponge. that is the sponge that sits on the intake tube for the filter. it means that whehn you do a water change you can suck all the shit off the pre filter sponge and get it out of your tank. with out a pre fdilter sponge you canister will fill up with shit and rubbish in no time and is simply not good for keeping discus. trust me on this one. sonce i started using a pre sponge filter my water quality ia 10 times better. which also means that my discus are much healthier and happier.

i'll attach some pics of my pre filter sponge and my sponge filters (which is only for an increased bio load).

hth
matt

Mattzilla
Thu May 20, 2004, 10:06 PM
duel sponge filter for bio load

Mattzilla
Thu May 20, 2004, 10:07 PM
pre filter sponge

nicholas76
Tue May 25, 2004, 09:32 AM
Go fluval Supurb product

I also use Rena Tri Star which many people havent heard of. I like this filter as it has an ajustable outlet nozzle and it also has additional piping that allows for easy O2 connection. Its been running for 3 years now, no problems at all. Oh And its cheap!

NIck

fishpimp
Sun Jun 13, 2004, 03:26 AM
back peddling here, but don't use otto, lack of after market parts, and frankly after sales service is poor, don't support a manufacturer that doesn't support the consumers of it's products! :(