PDA

View Full Version : Pricing Debate (split from Classifieds topic area)

Scarface
Tue May 31, 2005, 01:07 PM
Told you $40 hahahaha not $70

Benny
Tue May 31, 2005, 01:16 PM
grow up...

Mods delete scarfaces post, maybe just ban him for the sake of keeping the peace?

dreamer
Tue May 31, 2005, 01:36 PM
price wise ...he's right though ....

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 02:51 PM
Scarface, this your second outburst in as many days. One more flaming post buys you some time in the 'sin bin'.

I hear what you are saying, but there is a right and wrong way to say it.

Keep it nice, if you want to stay. :wink:

Scarface
Tue May 31, 2005, 02:58 PM
I understand where your comming from but look at like this

If you were new to fish and wanted to buy say a discus that you really liked you saw it for almost double then what they are worth from a "Breeder" wouldn't you like someone to tell you that you can get them cheaper? Its not doing the hobby any good and it makes the whole board look greedy.

Im playing nice but sont think its right that someone is marking prices up 90% to other breeders maybe he is the one that should be asked to "trade nice"

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 03:04 PM
I don't disagree with what you say.

It's just the way you say it.

Everyone here is allowed to express their opinion, but I do expect common courtesy.

Follow that rule, and you are more than welcome to stay, and express your opinions :wink:

Are we agreed?

Scarface
Tue May 31, 2005, 03:14 PM

Everyone here is allowed to express their opinion, but I do expect common courtesy.

Follow that rule, and you are more than welcome to stay, and express your opinions :wink:

Are we agreed?

:wink: indeed

Fishpimpin73
Tue May 31, 2005, 03:39 PM
Scarface,

On this side of the hobby we are well aware of the price differentials that are often ( IMHO ) taken gross advantage of.

But at the same time.....

If you take into consideration the strain of fish, breed generation, and other factors.........

If I was to choose btwn a $40 fish that was of average quality and a $70 fish that is F2 or better.
I would pay a little more for the "wilder" fish.

Specially if I was intending on breeding.

The thing about selling fish to hobbyists is that most of the time people are going to want the best fish that are available.
This can have a direct impact on costs.
At this point it falls upon the breeder to act responsibly, and not overcharge for his/her fish.

If that person feels that thier fish are worth a certain amount of money, then that is what they will charge.
It all comes down to what people are willing to pay.
There is always going to be someone with the same quality or even better quality fish that is going to be willing to sell them cheaper.
You just have to keep looking.

Personally I think that most of the time you ALL pay too much for fish :wink:

I am horrible for selling my spawns at wholesale + 5%.

But that is bc I know what they are available for and I am a firm believer that I shouldn't charge more for them than I am into them.

As far as the site looking greedy bc someone feels that someone is overcharging for thier fish.............

I just don't see it that way.

It has nothing to do with the site.
But has everything to do with that individuals credibility.

If thier fish are not worth that much, then they won't be able to sell them.
It really is that simple.

Pimpin :wink:

goldenpigeon
Tue May 31, 2005, 08:53 PM
and i think there is also the factor of availability that comes into play somewhere along the line. i myself have not seen any albino bn for around a year...... dunno y?

and we all live in different areas and it is different everywhere.

the last time i saw some here on the gold coast they were 100 bucks each at baby size!!!!

Proteus
Tue May 31, 2005, 11:28 PM
as an FYI, it is hard to find Albino BN's in any store for less than $70-$90.

That is just the way the market is...

Bear in mind, 12-16 months ago you couldnt buy an Albino for less than $600, I think we are much better off now.

dreamer
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 01:31 AM
if we pay the same amount as in retail then there isnt much point of having classify in forums, is there?? and of course we dont refer back to previous pricing/availability :lol:

Proteus
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 01:33 AM
if it wasnt for retail, we would still be years behind where we are now...

there needs to be a balance

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 01:51 AM
One thing I realised very quickly when I joined this forum is that the tone and language used here is very different to many I belong to, it was a very nice change to not have flame wars every other day.

I do believe Discus keepers are different in many ways so c'mon guys, let's just keep a bit of decorum in da forum.

Bottom line is if you don't like the pricing of whatever, don't buy it, simple!
MAC

Proteus
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 01:53 AM
Thanks MAC

As I have said elsewhere...

If you havent got anything good to say, it is best to say nothing at all...

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 04:17 AM

Are we agreed?

:wink: indeed

Thankyou Scarface. I hope you enjoy your time here. :wink:

Scarface
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:05 AM
Quality should be premium if your buying fish for $10 or $1000. I only keep cichlids and cats and i know what prices are to be for quality/strain/size and gender and something that is double the average going price is just wrong IMO. If you cant find quality albino bn's for around $40 for 4-5cm then you must live in a cave. Most LFS are selling them for peanuts these days and will only keep going down because they are no longer rare in any shape or form. For $70 you can get a nice peppermint at around 4cm which one would you choose?

Also people that seem to be protecting the fact that someone is increasing prices by almost 100% is just stupid because its misleading and down right wrong.
I hope the people that protected this kind of behaviour soon get charged double for a fish and then we will see what you think about it.

For every extra dollar that goes into "mr $70 albino"'s pocket another $2 comes out of the hobby because its going to make people want to give the hobby up if they are forever being ripped off.

As Dreamer said if we are paying 100% more then wholesale then there is no point having sites like this because we may as well just goto LFS and buy stock.
Alot of other people wouldn't have this kind of behaviour on a site and i think he should be pulled aside and asked to re think his prices.
Dont forget we were all once new to the hobby and would be pretty pissed off to find out somebody ripped YOU off and nobody said a word.

Something to think about

Merrilyn
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:38 AM
You make a valid point. Thankyou.

kevkoi
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:46 AM
For $70 you can get a nice peppermint at around 4cm which one would you choose?

If you go by that logic, then the $70 for a 4cm bristlenose privately is way too much. Albino BN and Peppermints are priced the same and that is what we have been buying and indeed most shops would be buying them at the same price at the present moment.

On the same note, it is clear you are not involved in the trade. Peppermints and Albino bns wholesale out of the major wholesalers (Bayfish and Aquarium Industries) for just under $70ea. I don't see the LFS accusing them of being "rip-offs".

At the end of the day, aquarium fish is not a standard comodity, it is a hobby. It comes down to willing buyer, willing seller.

*this whole thread up till the initial post should be deleted. Serves no purpose.

Let's get all this distractions off and let Cat sell her fish. Price doesn't suit, don't buy.... there's always the hope of a 'cheaper' fish. :lol:

wifey of axelfaz
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 05:54 AM
Well said Kev

Proteus
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 06:08 AM
I have split this off from the Classifieds thread as it served no purpose in there.

at the end of the day as Kev said, willing buyer, willing seller...

'tis all about supply and demand.

dreamer
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 06:24 AM
would you be happy to find out that the price you are willing to pay is actually alot more than the actual value?

axelfaz
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 07:31 AM
just remember that the person who sells cheap dosnt always have the right intenion :!: :!: :wink:

DR.V
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 08:28 AM
I think it depends on the seller, how much they wants to sell their fish. If you like their fish and can afford them, then buy them. Otherwise, you can look somewhere else cheaper.

mistakes r crucial
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 09:05 AM
This is a rediculous thread but I can't help myself!

I can buy Albino BN for $30-$40 for 3-4cms through someone I know pretty well and I can also buy them from wholesalers at around $68-$70 for the same fish. Just to add fuel to the fire Scarface, you're wrong, $30-$40 for an Albino BN is not the going price, it might be for you and it is for me but it aint for most people. It totally depends on who's breeding what and how well you know them. Just my opinion but I don't think the seller of these fish is ripping anyone off, he is selling them at genuine wholesale prices which is more than fair on any forum. The fact that you can get them, as I can, at a vastly reduced cost is totally irrelevant. And no, I'm not supplying any.

Your comment regarding Peppermints is also incorrect depending on who you deal with and are able to deal with. I can buy 4cm Peppermints for $20 so are you being ripped off, are you getting a bad deal, the answer to that is no because 70 buck 3cm Pepps is what you have access to. You would see it as good value. I wouldn't!

It's none of our business regardless, if matey chooses to post a price for a product which we don't agree with simply don't buy it, I can't see any reason to comment one way or another but that's just me.
MAC

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 09:25 AM
ok i personally have acess to $15 3cm peppermints occasionally but retail i buy them for around the $30 - $40 mark. i NEVER see albino's!!!

i think that 1 point most of us are missing (particularly scareface - im not trying to have a shot at you or anything) is that we are talking about a WHOLE country here. in some areas albino bn may be almost non existant - where as in another you always have them available to you at maybe a $30 price tag. it all depends on the area. also the way fish spread is buy ppl shipping and importing them. this costs alot of money so some area's may have to wait a bit of time before the fish get there (some1 buys and imports some ect. breeds them and sells ect).

so yer for some $70 albino bn sounds like the opportunity worth taking!

PS: im not meaning to point fingres at any1 :D

Ben
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 09:29 AM
Well well well.....

mine is bigger than yours!

lol

time again for a group snuggle!

goldenpigeon
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 10:33 AM
yer yer yer

cum on ppl group hug!!

ben ur out we dont want gropers!

DR.V
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:39 AM
It's none of our business regardless, if matey chooses to post a price for a product which we don't agree with simply don't buy it, I can't see any reason to comment one way or another but that's just me.
MAC

I 200% agree with you!

DR.V
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:41 AM
ben is a groper is he ? hehehe ^_-

wifey of axelfaz
Wed Jun 01, 2005, 11:51 AM
Up until yesterday I had never heard or seen Albino BN before and I have had the pleasure of visting many FS around Australia :)

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 12:52 AM
there we have it ppl. they rnt very rare in canberra because axelfaz's wifey hasnt seen 1 until yesterday!

and yer ben is a groper.... rnt u ben ;)

Merrilyn
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:09 AM
Hmmmmm wondered why Ben wanted a group snuggle this time, instead of just a group hug. :shock:

A groper eh? Well you just behave yourself Mr Ben :o

Cheeky boy :lol:

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 03:32 AM
yep he is rnt u ben?

Ben
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 04:38 AM
I am a lover..... not a fighter!........

lol

goldenpigeon
Thu Jun 02, 2005, 05:01 AM
:lol: