PDA

View Full Version : Tap Water Parameters

kazkirk
Tue May 31, 2005, 01:14 AM
I tested my tap water today and this is what I got
pH 7
gh 3
kh 2

How do I test for chlorine, or do I have to call the city (which I dont feel like dealing with, they arent the smartest people alive)

What should the ph, gh, and kh be, Ive read a lot of stuff and they all say totally different things (just like water changes, everything from 75% a day to 20% a week!)

Thank you!

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 01:53 AM
Hi Kaz , like most things to do with fishkeeping, there are no hard and fast rules. Everyone will do things a little differently, and with equal success.

Now, your water straight from the tap is ideal for both keeping and breeding discus, without any alteration to pH or hardness.

As far as chlorine goes, just assume it has been added. I use a water conditioner that removes chlorine, chloramine and ammonia. There are several good brands on the market, probably Prime being the most popular.

For your waterchanges, the more the better, but in reality, 30% every second day will be more than adequate. If you are wanting to breed, or if you are raising fry, you will need to increase the waterchanges to daily. Breeders get 30% daily, and growing fry get 50% twice a day.

In the big breeding farms in Malaysia, they will change 100% of the water daily.

Hope that helps :P

kazkirk
Tue May 31, 2005, 02:03 AM
I have....*runs to get bottle*....Kent Pro Tech Coat. I dont recall ever seeing Prime, Ill keep an eye out for it.

And thats just what I want to hear about my water :)

Once again, thank you for your help. You are extremely helpful and friendly! (not to mention super quick at replying!!!) Thanks again. Now go look in the food section for yet more questions :wink:

Proteus
Tue May 31, 2005, 09:46 AM
Kazkirk, Prime is made by Seachem...

You can also use AquaPlus, Tri-Start, etc, etc

all reputable aquariums should carry a range of products

Proteus
Tue May 31, 2005, 09:49 AM
..as a foot note, what you have is perfect, so long as your water utility doesnt add chloramine, then you need to treat with Kent Ammonia Detox.

Pro·Tech Coat FW by Kent Marine

Kent Pro Tech Coat Freshwater neutralizes chlorine and heavy metals. It restores the natural slime coating to relieve fish stress, calm, and protect against abrasion. It helps acclimatize fish to new surroundings. It can be used when preparing tap water, making water changes, adding new fish, handling fish, transporting fish, or when fish are wounded. Pro Tech Coat Freshwater is different than competing products because it contains only costly polyvinylpyrrolidone as the coating ingredient. This same product is FDA approved as an ingredient in human medicinal and nutrition products. Competing products contain cheap fillers such as aloe vera and carboxymethylcellulose which then decay in the aquarium and lower the redox and the overall water quality. Pro Tech Coat Freshwater does not affect biological filtration and is safe for all freshwater species including sensitive Discus and Tetras, as well as live plants. Competing products may cause problems with plants.

Considerations for use

In many areas, water departments are using chloramines, a complex of chlorine and ammonia to prolong the chlorine action in killing bacteria. If chloramine is present, use Kent Ammonia Detox to neutralize it, making the water safe for aquatic animals. No other treatment is required. If your tap water only contains chlorine (not chloramine), you can use this product, Kent Pro Tech Coat Freshwater alone.