PDA

View Full Version : Fishkeepers Log I

Insomnia
Mon May 30, 2005, 04:23 PM
One out of 9 new discus will not eat, fish stays in hiding. No other external symptoms identified. Attempts to treat in quarantine with Met and then prazi failed. 6 weeks later 3 more fish become sick, symptoms: not eating. No other external symptoms identified. Fish moved to Hospital tank and treatment of Met begins. 4 doses and one week later, no improvement observed, fish still not eating. Met Treatment concluded and treatment with SeaChem PolyGuard begins. 3 days after first treatment, fish appear to be more active, come out of hiding. 2 of the 3 moved back to main tank. Second treatment is administered. 2 days later 3rd fish appears to be responding. Mystery Illness still unidentified.

ctvu
Mon May 30, 2005, 09:52 PM
Hi

Where about are you? I am sure LR would ask you the parameter of your water and your tank ic completely cycled? How long have you got those fish?
HTH

ctvu

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:58 PM
Hi Insomnia, that's a very interesting case.

It would appear that your fish had a bacteria that was not sensitive to Metro, but responded to the ingredient in Seachem PolyGuard.

Not sure if we can get that here in Australia, but can you list the ingredients on the bottle? We might be able to get it under another name.

Insomnia
Tue May 31, 2005, 05:21 PM
Here is a link to the manuf site, ladyred:

http://www.seachem.com/products/product_pages/PolyGuard.html

In response to you, ctvu, All my levels are well within acceptable parameters, This is not a water quality issue. The tank is well etablished. I was simply stating my experience with some newer fish that I have in hope that it may help someone else should they encounter such a problem. Hence, the "Fishkeepers Log" format.
:D

Merrilyn
Tue May 31, 2005, 06:13 PM
Thanks for that insomnia.

We appreciate the information :P