PDA

View Full Version : Age

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 10:21 AM
How to determine discus age ?
Also what would be the maximum age that adult discus can't breed anymore ?

Thanks

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 10:52 AM
Hmmmm not quite so easy to determine the age of discus.

Young fish have a smooth skin and appear to be glowing with good health. Their pelvic fins are also reasonably short in relation to the body.

As the fish ages, it's pelvic fins continue to grow, and may become bent or broken.

In old age, my really old fish have lost that dewy complexion of youth, and just appear to look old when compared with the younger fish. They still eat well, and look healthy, but I know they are old fish.

As far as breeding, the years between 2 and four seem to be the most productive. I have had a pair spawn at 5 years, but nothing after that.

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the info ladyred, i just got a pair of white butterfly, and they seem to be old. Im not sure if they can still breed, although the seller said they're breeing pair.

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:04 AM
Very few people will actually sell a true breeding pair, unless they have a particular reason, like lack of room, or concentrating on other colours. Only you can determine if the reason seems genuine.

A true proven breeding pair will also cost you a LOT of money.

Remember, that while they may have been breeding for the previous owner, they may not necessarily breed for you :P

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:22 AM
yep, thats right. I got this pair from SLS, and served by George, a trusted source. Also VERY expensive !!

Merrilyn
Mon May 30, 2005, 11:32 AM
Oh well, that's a different situation to buying them privately.

SLS are lucky that they have so many discus, and can actually see the fish pair up naturally. That's the best way to get a compatible pair.

George certainly knows his fish, and you should have a good pair there.

Don't forget, we want to see pictures of the fry :wink:

DR.V
Mon May 30, 2005, 12:07 PM
Hehe too soon for fry :P
I just put them into 3ft tank yesterday, should take sometime to adopt new tank. Anyway, Ladyred, you reply REALLY fast.