PDA

View Full Version : discus get to food

tacks
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 11:05 PM
because my tank is so heavly planted I wonder will they go after the food if it gets down among the plants or should I clear a spot and thy and keep the food in that area thanks guys for your input tacks

Proteus
Mon Apr 05, 2004, 11:11 PM
Where ever the food ends up, they will get it...

Unless it is wedged in a crevice between 2 imovable objects (rocks, etc)

Remember, these fish are originally from the Amazon, a slightly planted piece of river I would think...

:wink:

As time goes by, they will know where you feed them from, and trust me, over time they are like a Dog, they will just wait there and beg for more.

luvfishies
Tue Apr 06, 2004, 02:46 AM
They will find the food, and be relentless hunting down every scrap that they can.

Proteus is right, after a little while they will know where you drop the food and will beg and quiver like Pointing dogs when they are hot on a scent. Prepare to be splashed if you're not fast enough getting the food into the tank!

texasborn
Tue Apr 06, 2004, 04:58 AM
how long would you say it takes for discus to get use to a new tank?

Proteus
Tue Apr 06, 2004, 05:40 AM
There are many factors that need to be taken into account to answer this.

If they were purchased from a "High Traffic" store, etc, then probably not that long after they have settled into there new environment. Whereas, if they were from a breeder who kept them in a fish room which only had someone in there for a few minutes or so each day, then extra movement might spook them a bit.

Discus are naturally a skittish fish, but once they are comfortable in there home, providing it is located in an appropriate place, they are the same as any other fish...

A few things to consider. Have the tank as high as you can, not floor level, for some reason they just dont like it, and heck, they are the King of the Aquarium, so put 'em up on a throne (lol). Also, high traffic areas, corridors, doorways, etc, should be avoided as mentioned before, a sudden unexpected movement and they wil try and smash the glass.

So long as you condition them, and yourself to where they are, all will be fine....

Mel
Tue Apr 06, 2004, 09:07 AM
Its true...my lot were relocated to a larger tank and were very skittish the first few days so i just left the lights off.Now a week later they are back to normal at the front of the glass and lights back on as normal.

Mel

Annie
Tue Apr 06, 2004, 11:06 PM
When I was reading this about weather or not the Discus would get the food or not, it made me think of how cool they are when the manuver..
Here is a pick of the B, Diamonds I have diving to get at the food..it is just amazing they way they get over and under things in the tank. :wink:
http://fishgeeks.com/modules/gallery/albums/album62/Lil_pigies_Diving_for_food.sized.jpg

flukes
Wed Apr 07, 2004, 10:00 AM
unreal pic annie, and what a pose, looks like he is digging for treasure.

Proteus
Wed Apr 07, 2004, 02:39 PM
To Discus...

FOOD is treasure...

Mine go nuts over Tetra Color Bits... I mean they eat the other 3-4 varieties of dry food I give them, and the frozen stuff, but drop some Bits in there and it is war...

The only food that comes close is Frozen Blood Worms, they demolish them before you can blink an eyelid.