PDA

View Full Version : Rocks

flukes
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:10 AM
I saw a post on another forum about making caves with a kind of slate, i dont want to make caves but i thought i could mould my own rock shape with small part of this slate, i was wondering if anyone knew what kind of slate/rock can be used, it was kind of grey and when smashed it shattered into thin wide bits.

Any idea?
Or any other rock/slate i could use silcone to mould my own shape with?

Thanks
Scott

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:13 AM
I know a lot of people use smashed up slate tiles???

silicone can be used to attach each piece as long as there is good contact between each piece...

flukes
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:15 AM
ahh this was the site found it, its called virgina slate
http://www.plantgeek.net/article_viewer.php?id=6
Thanks ill have to check the local garden supplier.

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 10:17 AM
try some local landscape companies as well...

keep us posted and good luck.

TALLNEV
Sun Feb 22, 2004, 05:14 PM
Go to a slate tile place and ask if they sell scrape slate. I have done this they used to sell it very cheap. I used to get a large box of scrap for $10 but last time I went they asked for $25 bit of a jump in price but cheaper then most rocks you buy from fish shops.

flukes
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 12:35 AM
Hey go some rocks from a friends garden, they look like the rocks used in proteus's amazon bio-type. I sat them in a bucket last night and got up this morning and gave them a bit of a rub, the water that came of them was a rustie color, do you think i can still use these in my aquarium??

Cheers
Scott

Proteus
Wed Feb 25, 2004, 02:23 AM
The stones I have in my tanks were from "Flower Power"

They sell them as Lucky Stones and they cost about $1 a piece... just give them a good soaking and scrub, and tey will be fine...

They are mostly used as a decorative piece or boundary in ponds, but they work fine in a tank as well, and you can get some very nice shapes and colours as well...