PDA

View Full Version : Getting fry to accept BBS

Dave76
Wed May 25, 2005, 05:15 AM
Hi all

I've got two 4 day old fry attached to dad loving life - but they won't touch bbs - live or frozen. How long does it normally take before they will chase it down ?

Also how long should the fry be left with dad. The reason I ask if I've got another pair with a big spawn due to hatch tomorrow - but they suck at being parents in that they look after the eggs fine, but as soon as they start wriggling it becomes snack attack time, so was hoping to use dad as a surrogate parent, but have read he will most likely eat the other fry ?

Or should I just let nature take it's course & leave him with his two fry and see what happens with the rest.

Thanks all.

Dave

DR.V
Wed May 25, 2005, 12:21 PM
4 days old ? i think the fry will be too small to eat BBS, at that stage it will eat the remaining yolk or eat the slime from parents body. Fry would normally eat BBS after a week. I removed all the babies after 5 weeks.

Dave76
Wed May 25, 2005, 01:39 PM
Hi Dr V

Sorry my bad - it should be 4 days free swimming :)

Dave

DR.V
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:14 PM
phewwhhhh ^^

Merrilyn
Wed May 25, 2005, 02:49 PM
Dave, you could try some of the fry with him, say half the spawn. If you keep the lights dim straight after introducing the new fry, he may accept them as his own.

With any luck, the real parents will have got their act together, and raise their family. Keep the lights dim on their tank too. Just use a small room light, or a lamp left on 25/7 for the first couple of weeks.